Jicama

< Previous | Next >

Nick

USA, English
Comment traduit-on "jicama"? C'est un légume qui vient du Mexique. Le goût est comme celui des pois.
http://www.answers.com/jicama
Jicama is a sweet, crunchy tropical tuber that resembles a radish in texture and a water chestnut in taste, and is enjoyed raw in salads and other cold dishes. The thin brown skin is first peeled away from the crisp white flesh. Choose jicamas that are firm and heavy. Store whole in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks; once cut, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for up to 1 week.​

• Cath.S.

français de France
    Thanks to you Danielle I learnt something!
    Also I looked up the Latin name and found that the other English name for it is yam bean and other French names are pois-manioc and pois-patate,and even pois-cochon! And navet mexicain ("mexican turnip")
    Jicama is also Pachyrhizus tuberosus.

Danielle

Canada, French & English
    egueule said:
    Thanks to you Danielle I learnt something!
    Also I looked up the Latin name and found that the other English name for it is yam bean and other French names are pois-manioc and pois-patate,and even pois-cochon! And navet mexicain ("mexican turnip")
    Jicama is also Pachyrhizus tuberosus.
    here's a little bit more of what I found (and I learned something new too, believe me :) ) :

""Selon « The New York Botanical Garden Illustrated Encyclopedia of Horticulture », les termes « jicama » et « yam-bean » ne seraient pas synonymes.
    The jicama differs from the yam-bean in having much bigger roots, leaflets obscurely or not at all lobed, and seed pods 8 inches to 1 foot long. This is a native of tropical America.
    Resembles a turnip in appearance, but has a bland flavor similar to the water chestnut. It is an excellent substitute for the more expenseve water chestnut. ""

Nick

USA, English
    Merci, Danielle et egueule :)

J'ai demandé ma prof mais elle ne le connait pas. Demain, je lui apporterai le légume et le nom.

< Previous | Next >