Jingle and Jangle

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Now, Bobby plunked down six boxes of ammo. The brass casings jingled inside the containers. He opened the first box and loaded up

Source: Alone, Gardner Lisa
"Jangle" and "Jingle" are very similar in meaning. Do you think "jangled" can also be used in the above example? Thanks

Jangle: to make a noise by hitting small metal objects against each other
http://www.onelook.com/?w=Jangle&ls=a

Jingle: to make a sound like small metal objects hitting each other
http://www.onelook.com/?w=jingle&ls=a

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Yes. I see jingled as being higher notes, a positive noise and almost musical and jangled as somewhat lower notes, a negative noise and almost discordant.

Be aware that jangle has a secondary meaning and do not use it where there could be confusion M-W
    2. (with reference to nerves) Set or be set on edge.

jacdac

Lebanese
    I am looking to understand the difference between jingle and jangle, I came across this thread.

What do you mean with positive and negative noise?

Is it right to say jingle has an embedded melodious soud, while jangle does not?

Can you give please example of jingle and jangle sounds?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Is it right to say jingle has an embedded melodious soud, while jangle is discordant?
    :thumbsup: There is a sense of happiness that attaches to "jingle" and a sense of irriation or disaster or misfortune that attaches to jangle.

Small bells on a trotting horse's harness jingle.
    Knives and forks jangle when they are dropped on the floor.

However, such are the verbs that they impart the positive or negative aspect to the sound:

The previous night he had drunk a bottle of brandy, and the noise of the jingling harness of the horses jangled in his head. (It should have been a happy sound, but to him, it was not.)

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    Yes. I see jingled as being higher notes, a positive noise and almost musical and jangled as somewhat lower notes, a negative noise and almost discordant.
    :thumbsup:

Jingle, as in "jingle bells" - the pleasant musical notes bells make when shaken or struck properly.
    jingle | Definition of jingle in English by Oxford Dictionaries

A jangle, is like a metallic rattle, such as when a bunch of keys is shaken. It is not really musical because keys are not tuned, and so they can sound rather discordant. Bells can also jangle if shaken too roughly.
    jangle | Definition of jangle in English by Oxford Dictionaries

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >