jitomate

• lapachis8

Mexico-Spanish
    Hola:

Sólo en México al tomate rojo, le llamamos jitomate, porque tiene una raíz en náhuatl:

jitomate. (Del náhuatl xictomatl, literalmente = 'tomate de ombligo', de xictli 'ombligo' + tomatl 'tomate'.) m. Cierta planta americana (Lycopersicon esculentum), y su fruto (rojo cuando está maduro), que en España y muchos otros países se llaman respectivamente tomatera y tomate. En gran parte de la República Mexicana el tomate o tomate verde es otra planta (Physalis vulgaris), cuyo fruto es verdoso cuando está maduro.
    Saludos.

[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:

ILT

México - Español/Castellano
    In México we call Jitomate the red tomatoes, and we call Tomate the green tomatoes.
    This is true in the central part of Mexico. In the rest of the country red tomatoes are tomate (as in puré de tomate - tomato puree) and green tomatoes are called tomatillo or jitomate verde.

ILT

México - Español/Castellano
    Tomatillo = husk tomatoes; those little green tomatoes used to make salsa verde.
    Tomate = red tomatoes.
    Jitomate = red tomatoes; this name is used in the central part of Mexico only. In the rest of the country they are called tomate or tomate rojo.

Robbie168

Spanish, English - US & UK
    I didn't know they used "tomatillo" in Puebla; here in Mexico City they are called "jitomate" (the red one) and "tomate" the green one, if I remember accurately "tomatillos" would be known as the tiny red tomatoes.

Yurmumsavich

Mexican Spanish
    I'm confused. What (if any) is the difference between tomate, jitomate and tomatillo?
    I am in Puebla and everyone seems to know the distinction but me.

Well, my parents are from Jalisco, Guadalajara to be exact, and the difference to them or as they taught me is that tomates are the regular round red tomatoes and jitomates are the more oval tomatoes and much smaller than tomatoes. As for tomatillo is the green tomatoes that come with that leaf wrapper stuff.

JacklynGuz

Sapnish (Mexico)
    :idea: So helpful. I was so confused?? People from Guadalajara were like "..it's tomatillo" and people from Mexico City call them "tomate". So I was like where does "Jitomate" fit in all of this. VERY HELPFUL ANSWERS TO ALL!

raspacorp

Spanish - Mexico
    I am from the center of Mexico (Michoacan) but lived in the north (Monterrey) for several years, Mexico city and Guadalajara.

Jitomate in the center, is the red tomato that you find in all mercados, oval form with a belly button.
    Tomate in the north may refer to Jitomate or to round (red) tomato, as the oval one is not that common there.
    Tomate in the center refers to green tomato, it is a round small green tomato
    Tomatillo in the center is a wild form of the green tomato very small maybe half an inch diameter with a very sour flavor it grows naturally in the forest, not lot of people in cities knows it.
    Tomatillo in the north of Mexico is how they call the green tomato.