job-work

< Previous | Next >

xs.

italy
please,
who could explain me the differencies betweem the words "job" and "work"....
thanks in advance,

XS

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hello xs., and welcome to WordReference.

I have a job, I am employed, my job is XXXX.

I go to work.

That's a harder question than I thought it was:)

GenJen54

USA - English
    I agree with Panj. This is a much harder question to answer than it seems. I had earlier attempted to answer it, then gave up. Here's my second attempt.

Your job is the "description" of what you are to do during the day. It is what you get paid to do within the context of your occupation.

Your work includes the individual tasks that you must complete in order to do your job.

(Does that make sense?)

stranger in your midst

English / Scotland
    Of course, there is also the expression 'a job of work'.

I would suggest the word 'job' when it is used to describe one's profession or occupation is slightly informal, albeit very common.

'Occupation' would be more proper.

However, 'job' can also refer to a specific task undertaken as part of one's work. For example, tradesmen do 'jobs', and 'job order' (the request for a tradesman's services) is a formal business term used in the industry.

'Work' tends to refer to the actual physical activity of performing one's 'job', or 'occupation'. One can go to one's workplace, sit idly at one's desk, hiding from the manager, and do absolutely no work.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    [...] One can go to one's workplace, sit idly at one's desk, hiding from the manager, and do absolutely no work.
    OH NO!
    Don't tell me you've been online to my webcam!

Well, for absolutely no work substitute browsing WordReference.

Good point, though - a job might be as siym suggests.

Work is also a different kind of noun.
    Shakespeare's works ... Bach's works ... are the pieces of artistic endeavour that they created for our enjoyment.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I see a "job" as being the vacancy one fills within an organisation. The "work" is the tasks the person filling this vacancy performs.

Z has a job as a chemist in the Acme organisation, his work involves researching new medicines.

< Previous | Next >