Jock Huddle

< Previous | Next >

anglicana

France
I pegged him as the kind of jock that has a thing for smart girls. You see these guys, second stringers on the foot-ball team; they stand around the edge of the Jock Huddle listening to rauchy talk about cheerleaders.

Can anyone help me with the expressions in bold? Nowhere can I find them, especially the Jock Huddle thing :(

• mjscott

American English
    the kind of jock that has a thing for smart girls
    the kind of athlete that likes smart girls

second stringers
    wannabes, people who are not first thought of as popular; on a team, they would be the ones going in only after someone on first string--or the best players were either tired or injured

the edge of the Jock Huddle
    not quite in the middle of the conversation--only considered worthy enough socially to stand back from the main group of first string jocks (By the way, during breaks in play, athletes "huddle" together to talk about what strategy they are going to try next in the game they are playing)

raunchy talk
    saying disparaging and disrespectful things--usually sex-centered (They also use raunchy talk to describe locker-room conversations)

ash93

England, United Kingdom - English but can speak Urdu, Memon and Hindi
    the kind of jock that has a thing for smart girls
    the kind of athlete that likes smart girls

second stringers
    wannabes, people who are not first thought of as popular; on a team, they would be the ones going in only after someone on first string--or the best players were either tired or injured

the edge of the Jock Huddle
    not quite in the middle of the conversation--only considered worthy enough socially to stand back from the main group of first string jocks (By the way, during breaks in play, athletes "huddle" together to talk about what strategy they are going to try next in the game they are playing)

raunchy talk
    saying disparaging and disrespectful things--usually sex-centered (They also use raunchy talk to describe locker-room conversations)
    Agree with mjscott.

< Previous | Next >