Joe, a woman not only humor...

nemo eve walle

chinese
Context:
John gets a prize, so he is allowed to give a speech on the stage. He says,
''Thank you everybody. I am so surprised when I knew I won the competition. The first person I want to thank is Joe. Actually, I am always thanking Joe, a woman not only humor, but her patient coaching and supporting.''

It doesn't have ''who is'', ''Joe, a woman who is not only humor...''. Is the underlined sentence in the context right?

• Loob

English UK
    I'm sorry, nemo, I would be mystified if I heard either:
    - a woman not only humo(u)r
    or
    - a woman who is not only humo(u)r
    :(

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    Nemo, are you trying to say "I am always thanking Joe, not only for her humour, but also for her patient coaching and support"?

If so, you don't need to put "a woman", because that's evident from the word "her" which follows (twice).

Ws
    :)

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Slightly off topic, but "Joe, a woman" looks exceedingly strange. A woman shortening Josephine, Joanne, or some other name would surely be "Jo." "Joe" with an E on the end can only ever be a man, at least in anything I've ever seen!

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    That was my first thought as well. But then, with all the 'unconventional' spellings of names that are around these days, why not? I know a guy who writes his name "Jo".

Ws:)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    You may wish to revise the whole sentence by altering the tense of the verbs in red. ''Thank you everybody. I am so surprised when I found [out] that I won the competition.

< Previous | Next >