John is off today as his father is not well.

• tomandjerryfan

English (Canada)
    Is this sentense correct -

"John is off today, as his Father is not well."
    Welcome to the forums joy82,

Yes it is.

As a side note, however: next time you might want to put the subject or phrase you're having problems with in the subject bar, rather than say "is it correct to say?"

danielfranco

One question though: In the sentence "John is off today, as his father is not well", are we using a more colloquial sentence construction? I'm a bit confused because I have flashbacks of my grade school teachers trying to remind me that "as" is an adverb used for comparisons only and should have a balanced expression. I mean, in comparisons like "as sick as a dog" you are forced to use the second "as".
    So, just curious here: is that a common way to express the original sentence?

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    I think that, at least colloquially, in this context "because" and "as" are used interchangeably. But I'm just a native speaker - not an English teacher - so I could be mistaken.

tomandjerryfan

English (Canada)
    It actually strikes me as more formal. "Because" would be a more familiar way of saying it according to my understanding. "As" is very appropriately used as a synonym for since or because.

< Previous | Next >