Johnny built convents for women to focus their life on God.

< Previous | Next >

moundflower

us english
I'm much happier with this sentence: Johnny built convents for women so that they could focus their life on God. But I can't explain why that is. Can anyone help.

Thanks.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    You could start the ball rolling by explaining it in simple language :)
    It seems to be saying that it was the building of the convents that was meant to focus the women's lives on God.
    I don't think it is a grammatical peculiarity.
    There is a logical discontinuity between the action "built convents for women" and the declared objective "to focus their lives on God".
    (Compare "Johnny built a house for Mavis to keep her warm in winter.")

moundflower

us english
    I apologize for the change; I didn't expect such a quick response. And I think your view point is vaild (and helpful) even if someone might be able to give me the tecnical explanation I originally requested.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    What on earth is the question? Happier than with what? :confused:
    We are comparing the title sentence with moundflower's suggested alternative - given in the amended post #1.

Original:
    Johnny built convents for women to focus their life on God.
    Alternative, which which we are happier:
    Johnny built convents for women so that they could focus their life on God.

It makes sense, honestly, though it would have made more sense if you'd been here from the beginning :p

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Ah, I get it now. I suppose this is why I prefer it when people put their question in the first post and don't edit the substance of their question once it's posted. :rolleyes:

Thank you. I have nothing to add. Carry on. :p

Translationhurtsmybrain!

English - UK
    Hello all :)

"Johnny built convents for women to focus their life on God" - This could be understood as:
    "Johnny built the convents for women" FACT
    WHY? "to focus their life on God" (ie. the very act of him builiding the convents focussed their life on God)

"Johnny built convents for women so that they could focus their life on God" - This sentence implies that he built the convents for women so that they could (out of personal choice) focus their life on God.

Im not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me, and since i dont know the context im not sure which one is right, but id say the second version ("so that they could...") sounds better.
    Hope that helps :)

< Previous | Next >