johnny-come-lately imposter

changeling

Russia, russian
Will you, please, give me a hand with the expression johnny-come-lately imposter in the following sentence: Worry just a little less about all that small-print stuff and more on building a memorable brand that people will remember, and that nobody will mistake for some johnny-come-lately imposter.

• JamesM

"Johnny-come-lately" is an expression that describes a person who shows up late to an event, or is slow to adopt the prevailing opinion, or is slow to come to an understanding of what's going on. An imposter is a faker or deceiver, someone who attempts to fool others into thinking he is someone that he is not.

A Johnny-come-lately imposter as a brand, to me, would be a new brand that imitated another long-established brand without having any identity of its own, possibly attempting to cash in on the recognition and reputation of the other brand by "riding its coattails" (there's another expression for you. :) ) It would not provide any distinct features or benefits of its own.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    To my surprise, impostor is the version in the OED.
    An imposter is someone (US) who classifies goods according to the rates of duty to be paid on them.

sergiofreeman

Spanish
    Hi there!
    Just today in the political arena Bernie Sanders was tag with that adjective.

CNN Politics

In the final days, Clinton's allies slashed Sanders' immigration record, criticizing him as a "johnny-come-lately" to the issue who has been too vague about his plans.

He is not a new comer in Politics , what applies in this case in my opinion is that some people believe that some of his promises are unrealistic, just a way to attract people's attention.

Please if someone else could say something about this I'll appreciate it.

thanks a lot.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    criticizing him as a "johnny-come-lately" to the issue
    = Someone who had only recently decided to take up the issue. A newcomer to the discussion on immigration.
    what applies in this case in my opinion is that some people believe that some of his promises are unrealistic, just a way to attract people's attention.
    No - merely that he has not spoken on immigration before (or if he has, he has not really entered fully into the debate.)

< Previous | Next >