Johnny goes to the park by bus with his mum on Sundays.

< Previous | Next >
  • DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I'm not very sure about the order of words in the sentence.
    Yes, you've got four adverbial phrases there: to the park - by bus - with his mum - on Sundays, which is a lot for one sentence. Unlike some languages, English doesn't have a fixed order but I think we generally tend to use whatever sounds idiomatic and natural, which probably isn't much help to you.

I think what I would do there is put "On Sundays" at the beginning of the sentence and then do the rest as ".. on the bus with his mum to the park." :)

Creature from the Sun

Russian, K-Paxian
    Yes, you've got four adverbial phrases there: to the park - by bus - with his mum - on Sundays, which is a lot for one sentence. Unlike some languages, English doesn't have a fixed order but I think we generally tend to use whatever sounds idiomatic and natural, which probably isn't much help to you.

I think what I would do there is put "On Sundays" at the beginning of the sentence and then do the rest as ".. on the bus with his mum to the park." :)
    Thank you, DonnyB.
    Is it possible to say, 'With his mum, Johnny goes by bus to the park on Sundays. ?'

'

Creature from the Sun

Russian, K-Paxian
    It would be an unusual word order, which I think sounds a bit odd.

But as, say, a caption to a picture of the two of them waiting at the bus stop, I suppose it could work.
    Thank you, DonnyB! Could you please tell me how would you explain all this (Johnny / goes / to the park/ /by bus [or 'on the bus'] /with his mum / on Sundays/ . ) in the most common idiomatic and natural way, even if takes several sentances?

< Previous | Next >