Johnny: Only Billy Grey would get taken down

涼宮

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
Merry christmas everyone and Good morning :)

I would like to get some help about this sentence taken from a game.

I cannot understand the meaning of to take down. Could you please paraphrase the sentence?

Johnny Only Billy Grey would get taken down on a distribution beef and end up in a country club. How were things in there?

Thanks in Advance :)

Note: That is a text taken from GTA << Grand Theft Auto >> in which many informal terms are used, that's why perhaps I cannot understand to take down in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • pob14

American English
    Arrested, convicted, and sentenced. A full translation:

Johnny: Only Billy Grey would get convicted of selling drugs, and end up in a prison that's so un-prison-like that it seems like a country club. What was it like in prison?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    First point - the punctuation. Johnny is the speaker. He's speaking to Billy. What follows is what he says.
    Johnny: Only Billy Grey would get taken down on a distribution beef and end up in a country club. How were things in there?

Second point - take down.
    Click on Take down
    Take down = arrest, according to one post in that thread.

From the context, and with this clue, "taken down" presumably means arrested, charged, convicted and imprisoned.
    I presume that the "country club" is a prison.

Edit: Posted without seeing pob's post above :)

surikata

London(BBC)English
    Johnny, Only Billy Grey would get taken down (my coma puncuation)
    Take/en down: Removed. Disposed of. Killed.

Johnny, Only Billy Grey would get taken down, nobody else.
    Johnny, Only Billy Grey would get taken down in that way, it would not happen to anybody else.

涼宮

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    :eek::eek::eek::eek: I never imagined it was that! let alone ''distribution beef'' was related to drugs! Informal English makes my life sad! still too much to learn!:D

Really thank you for helping me all of you! ;)

< Previous | Next >