join a thesis defense for graduation

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Yichen, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Yichen

Yichen Senior Member

Chinese
    Hello everyone,

Before graduation, I will summit my thesis to the Thesis Defense Committee.
    How do you say the occasion that is something like "join a thesis defense for graduation" ? (On this occasion I will present my thesis to those teachers and defense it.)

Thank you!

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    You should forget about using "defense" as a verb, Yichen. The verb is "defend".

If I were you, I think I'd say "I will defend my thesis before the committee before I graduate".

Listeners or readers won't understand you if you say that you "joined a thesis defense for graduation".

3. Yichen

Yichen Senior Member

Chinese
    Thank you!

4. lgr632525968

lgr632525968 Senior Member

Chinese
    Hi, owlman5.

I wonder what you native speakers call that,a graduation dissertation?

5. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    A thesis or a dissertation, depending on the level of the degree and the terminology that a particular university prefers. We do not add the word graduation. Every thesis or dissertation is written in order to graduate.

6. lgr632525968

Chinese
    I am so sorry. I didn't get myself cross.
    "defending one's thesis before the committee before graduating." I want to know if there is a certain name for this?
    Thank you.

7. jarabina Senior Member

English - Scotland
    If it is a PhD thesis, then in the UK we call this a viva. E.g. I've got my viva tomorrow.

8. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    Yes. Viva is short for 'viva voce examination'. Viva voce is Latin for 'with living voice': in other words, it is an oral examination.
    The graduand must answer and explain what the examiners ask him or her about in reference to the thesis.

We also call this 'defending one's PhD thesis'. We could say, 'I have to defend my thesis tomorrow'.

9. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    In the U.S., this is a thesis defense (or, if the document is called a dissertation, a dissertation defense.)

I think you mean across here. Cross, used to describe a person, means angry.

10. lgr632525968

Chinese
    Thank you so much!

11. lgr632525968

Chinese
    I wonder which verbs work with "a thesis defense"? If join is not a good one, how about ”attend" and "have".

I am about to attend/have a thesis defense tomorrow.

Thank you.

12. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Attend: if you will be in the audience, watching someone else defend his or her thesis.

Have: if you will participate in the defense, either as the author of the thesis or as a faculty member on the evaluation committee. (Presumably, anyone to whom you would say this would know if you are a student or a faculty member.)

Also, I wouldn't use "about to" and "tomorrow" in the same sentence. "Tomorrow" says enough about the time. "About to," in this context, would mean that the thesis defense will start in a few minutes. (In other contexts, it might imply a longer time. You could "I'm about to leave for a three-month trek across the Himalayas" a few days before your departure, perhaps in explaining why you can't take care of your neighbor's cat the following week. However, since a thesis defense is much shorter than that*, the time frame of "about to" is also much shorter.