Join the best wishes?

Goldfinchy

Russia - Russian
Here's the situation: one person says "Happy Birthday/Anniversary etc. Wish you health, love, etc". Another person wants to say the same, but to avoid repetition can he say something like "I wish you the same"? What is the right phrase?

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    In the context of the OP? No.
    Because it's not (usually) the other person's birthday/anniversary, too.

(Addendum: I think the thread title is inaccurate for the context of your question. "Return someone's best wishes" is what you mean. "I'd like to join in the wishes/congratulations" or "I'd like to add my congratulations/best wishes" means to add your congratulations/best wishes to those already expressed by others. "Let me add my.." would be written. If someone wishes you a Happy Birthday, etc., you say Thanks!")

Last edited:

dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    Ah, now I think I see what you meant. If it's your birthday/anniversary/whatever and someone wishes you greetings, and it so happens that the other person is also celebrating the same thing, you can say, "And the same to you".

Goldfinchy

Russia - Russian
    The thing I mean is that today is my friend's birthday. I'm sending him the message in the chat room "Happy Birthday, I wish you..... bla bla bla". Our mutual friend, who is also in this chat room, says: "I join to the congratulations". I personally think this phrase sounds unnatural and am looking for another one, that would perfectly substitue this one.

dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    I personally think this phrase sounds unnatural and am looking for another one, that would perfectly substitue this one.
    Yes, its unnatural. Providing you're all online in the chatroom at the same time, your mutual friend could say, informally, "(And) The same from me", as per #2. Or even more informally, and it's very informal, "Ditto from me".

Goldfinchy

Russia - Russian
    Yes, its unnatural. Providing you're all online in the chatroom at the same time, your mutual friend could say, informally, "(And) The same from me", as per #2. Or even more informally, and it's very informal, "Ditto from me".
    Thanks, you helped a lot!

< Previous | Next >