Join vs. ally vs. unite

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
Happening at school: Don't bully us again, otherwise we will "join together" or "ally together" or "unite together" to fight you back.

Are they all correct? If so, which is the best? Thank you.

• london calling

UK English
    Happening at school: Don't bully us again, otherwise we will "join together" or "ally together" or "unite together" to fight you back.

We don't normally use 'together' with these verbs because it's redundant. I might say 'join forces'.

Jimbob_Disco

British English

Either ‘join together’ or ‘unite’ (without ‘together’), but personally I wouldn’t use ‘ally’ as a verb, purely as a noun. You could potentially just omit that part of the sentence, as there is enough contextual evidence to sugges the unification.

Jimbob_Disco

British English
    Thank you lingobingo and london calling.:thumbsup: If I remove "together", do "join to fight" and "ally to fight" and "unite to fight" correct?
    They are correct with ‘join’ and ‘unite’, but please see my previous post sbout using ‘ally’ as a verb. They’re less natural, though.
    Also, a note about grammar in your post:
    We say ‘are […] correct?’ not ‘do […] correct?’. Maybe you were getting it confused with ‘do […] make sense?’.

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    Thank you lingobingo and london calling.:thumbsup: If I remove "together", do "join to fight" and "ally to fight" and "unite to fight" correct?
    As others have said, it’s not right. As well as thinking about how to describe the ‘get together’ part, you also need to think about the ‘fight’ part. To fight means to use physical violence. Bullying may or may not involve physical violence. Do you actually want to say ‘fight’ here, or do you mean ‘defend ourselves’?

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    As others have said, it’s not right. As well as thinking about how to describe the ‘get together’ part, you also need to think about the ‘fight’ part. To fight means to use physical violence. Bullying may or may not involve physical violence. Do you actually want to say ‘fight’ here, or do you mean ‘defend ourselves’?
    Thank you all. :thumbsup:I like “join together” and “unite” and “defend ourselves”.

< Previous | Next >