joint between

Alexandrum

Italian
Dear all, does anyone can explain if and why the following sentence is correct?

I attended an academic course joint between the University of Rome and the University of Paris.

In particular, I cannot understand whether joint between is correct, being joint an adjective and not a past participle.

• Loob

English UK
    Hello Alexandrum - welcome to the forums!

The sentence doesn't look correct to me. Where did you find it?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    After reading this I assume the course was "taught jointly by" the 2 Universities. But the sentence does not say that properly in English.

"A joint course" would be better. "A course joint between" is simply incorrect.

Where did you find this sentence? (What is your source?)

Alexandrum

Italian
    Thank you very much for your replies. I have just noticed that in my post I did a grammar mistake: can anyone explain [...] correct? Sorry for that!

Anyway, coming back to the topic, I found the sentence on the web where a university is presenting a Master course joint between the Dept A, the Dept B, and the Dept C. Moreover I found some similar uses like PhD joint between the Univ. A and the Univ. B. (the web is not the best grammar reference!)

It seems that it has been omitted which is as happens for instance in PC connected to the web, job based on... but honestly I am a little bit confused.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    You are no doubt confused because the sentence is ungrammatical. Here, joint is an adjective, so it should be placed before the noun: "a joint course". That is a very common phrase. Or, even more common, it might be an adverb: "a course run/organised/taught/etc. jointly by..."

Was the sentence written by a native English speaker? I doubt it.

< Previous | Next >