Joual: An official language?

Slimane

French from Quebec
Of couse the French language in Quebec and in France are totally different each other. I think joual language should be an official language. Somebody from Ukraine told me Russian and Ukrainian are different language, why not for Joual or French?

• SofiaB

English Asia
    Why not make joual an official language! But I think it would have to be a second language. I am told not all Québécois speak joual although most may understand it.
    Yes Russian and Ukrainian are different languages. Mostly for political reasons.
    Bulgarian and Ukrainian are the two Slavic languages that are closes to Russian. They are all mutually intelligible even though they have some different words most are the same or very similar. European French and Québécois French are the same languages not only in name but the differences are no more than English from various countries. Standard French is taught in School in both countries. The vernaculars in both are different from textbook French. Both are mutually intelligible with varying degrees of difficulty.
    Some colloquial expressions are not the same, as in the other languages. Joual is an informal language variant of French and is not the standard in Québec.
    In conclusion if joual is to be an official language it should not be considered the primary language of Québec. Also there are populations in Canada which speak French and are not from Québec nor do many of them speak joual.

Slimane

French from Quebec
    SofiaB said:
    Why not make joual an official language! But I think it would have to be a second language. I am told not all Québécois speak joual although most may understand it.
    Yes Russian and Ukrainian are different languages. Mostly for political reasons.
    Bulgarian and Ukrainian are the two Slavic languages that are closes to Russian. They are all mutually intelligible even though they have some different words most are the same or very similar. European French and Québécois French are the same languages not only in name but the differences are no more than English from various countries. Standard French is taught in School in both countries. The vernaculars in both are different from textbook French. Both are mutually intelligible with varying degrees of difficulty.
    Some colloquial expressions are not the same, as in the other languages. Joual is an informal language variant of French and is not the standard in Québec.
    In conclusion if joual is to be an official language it should not be considered the primary language of Québec. Also there are populations in Canada which speak French and are not from Québec nor do many of them speak joual.
    When immigrant get used to hear Québécois accent, they all told me they prefer to use that accent. Some many word are different. Somebody from France doesn't know what is a dépanneur when they hear that word for the first time. Quebec and France are politically different, they don't use the same expression.

SofiaB

English Asia
    Yes Slimane dépanneur=convenience store in France they will think it is a breakdown lorry driver BE or Repair truck AE. So you see they are different words but the language itself is the same.Several vocabulary words do not make a separate language if we hear an unfamiliar word we can ask what does it mean. French immigrants came learn the version of the language in a very short time.

< Previous | Next >