Jouer le haut du classement (Soccer/Football)

fraisefrancaise

English United States
Hello, it's me again with another football (soccer) question.

How would you translate "jouer le haut du classement" in the following sentence? (Note: this is a club, not a national team)

"Nos objectifs sont clairs: le premier d'entre eux est de jouer le haut du classement."

To "make it to the finals"? To "rank highest in the league"? To "play at the top of the league"?

Thanks!

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    To be around the top of the league.
    To (be) sit(ting) on top of the league.
    To finish on top of the league (if its a season-long goal).

"Rank highest" works as far as I can see, but isn't very common football terminology in the English-speaking world. No doubt American "soccer" people would have different ways of speaking, though ;)

fraisefrancaise

English United States
    To be around the top of the league.
    To (be) sit(ting) on top of the league.
    To finish on top of the league (if its a season-long goal).

"Rank highest" works as far as I can see, but isn't very common football terminology in the English-speaking world. No doubt American "soccer" people would have different ways of speaking, though ;)

Yes, it refers to a season-long goal, so "to finish on top of the league" is exactly what I was looking for. I really need the correct football terminology.

Thanks so much!

Tresley

British English
    Hello FraiseFrancaise,

I think that your own suggestion of 'to play at the top of the league' is the best translation.

For example:

'Manchester United always play at the top of the league'.

I hope this helps.

Xavier11222

France French
    Puisqu'ils ne cherchent pas être premier au classement (ou pas forcément, après tout le premier aussi est en haut de tableau), est-ce qu'ils ne disent pas plus précisément to be amongst the top teams in the league ou to finish within the top spots of the league ranking ?

Edit: Man U proves fraisefrançaise right by way of Tresley, I totally trust the devils for this once.

Tresley

British English
    Puisqu'ils ne cherchent pas être premier au classement (ou pas forcément, après tout le premier aussi est en haut de tableau), est-ce qu'ils ne disent pas plus précisément to be amongst the top teams in the league ou to finish within the top spots of the league ranking ?

Oui, tout à fait.

'To play at the top of the league' veut dire ça! (parmi les premiers dans les classements)

'To play on top of the league' veut dire en première position.

cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    Oui, tout à fait.

'To play at the top of the league' veut dire ça! (parmi les premiers dans les classements)

'To play on top of the league' veut dire en première position.

Mais est-ce que ça se dit au Royaume-Uni ? Nous, on dirait plutôt « to finish near/around the top of the league ».

De même, je préfère « to be near the top of the league » à « to play... ». Ça sonne bizarre à mes oreilles (et oui, je joue au foot depuis mes cinq ans ;))

Tresley

British English
    Oh! I see your point.

It means 'to play at the top' rather than 'to play at the bottom'. (i.e. split the league in two and see where they are at that moment in time).

It's nothing to do with 'finishing', it's where they are playing in the league at the moment. Top or bottom section. Things could change as the football season progresses. It's where they are currently playing.

I hope you understand now.