"journal" as a verb

alice2010

Cantonese
I know the meaning of "journal" as a noun, but now I come across a sentence in which "journal" is used as a verb:
Inner sleeve includes inner and outer cylindrical surfaces and is journalled for rotation about axis C.
Does anyone know the meaning of "journal" here?? Thank you~~

• sdgraham

USA English
    Hi Alice. I had to work a bit on that one, which I haven't heard in a long time. See the bold part below.

It's a rather common use of a noun as a verb, but I cannot say if it's "correct."

Babylon English newspaper; magazine; diary, record of daily occurrences; daybook, bookkeeping ledger (Accounting); daily record of official transactions (of an organization or legislative body); part of a machine axle or shaft held up by a bearing
    Regards

Copyright

American English
    From the Free Dictionary: noun: journal:
    2. the part of a shaft or axle in contact with or enclosed by a bearing
    3. a plain cylindrical bearing to support a shaft or axle

If indeed that's close to what you want, it looks as though someone has verbified that noun.

alice2010

Cantonese
    Hi Alice. I had to work a bit on that one, which I haven't heard in a long time. See the bold part below.

It's a rather common use of a noun as a verb, but I cannot say if it's "correct."

Babylon English newspaper; magazine; diary, record of daily occurrences; daybook, bookkeeping ledger (Accounting); daily record of official transactions (of an organization or legislative body); part of a machine axle or shaft held up by a bearing
    Regards
    yes, you are right. I think the bold part is rightly the meaning here. Thank you so much!

alice2010

Cantonese
    From the Free Dictionary: noun: journal:
    2. the part of a shaft or axle in contact with or enclosed by a bearing
    3. a plain cylindrical bearing to support a shaft or axle

If indeed that's close to what you want, it looks as though someone has verbified that noun.

Thanks to Copyright. You are right. I think the writer has indeed verbified the noun.

Dandee

Argentina, español
    Hi All.
    In my opinion Journaled works as a verb like "turned cylindically and fitted to" the shaft, hollow pulley.....etc..

Last edited:

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    I know the meaning of "journal" as a noun, but now I come across a sentence in which "journal" is used as a verb:
    The Inner sleeve includes the inner and outer cylindrical surfaces and is journalled for rotation about axis C.
    Does anyone know the meaning of "journal" here?? Thank you~~

The lack of definite articles, needed as indicated above in purple, suggests that this was not written by a native user of English. An adult learner of English might have assumed that he could turn "journal" into a verb and be understood, since many other nouns have been so transformed by native users.

If this is taken from the mechanical rather than the journalistic or literary meaning of "journal," then "is journaled for" might mean something like "is fitted into a bearing for" or "is held by a bearing for."

berndf

German (Germany)
    The lack of definite articles, needed as indicated above in purple, suggests that this was not written by a native user of English. An adult learner of English might have assumed that he could turn "journal" into a verb and be understood, since many other nouns have been so transformed by native users.
    The sentence is incomplete. It is apparently taken from a patent specification and in full reads as follows:
    Inner sleeve 36 includes inner and outer cylindrical surfaces 37 and 39 and is journalled for rotation about axis C by bearing assemblies 40 comprising bearing rollers 41 carried by bearing races 42 which are secured to sleeve 36 and cartridge 38. (Source)

If this is taken from the mechanical rather than the journalistic or literary meaning of "journal," then "is journaled for" might mean something like "is fitted into a bearing for" or "is held by a bearing for."
    Journal(l)ed for rotation about... appears to be a frequently used expression in mechanical engineering. You find it in many patent specifications.

AliBadass

persian
    From the book ''be your own #goals'' by Kristen Martin: "It’s taken me months of meditation, journaling, reflection, and digging real deep to pull out these shortcomings about myself that I haven’t wanted to stare in the eye."

Does ''journaling'' here mean to keep a diary?