''Journey to/of''

< Previous | Next >

babai

bangla, bangoli
While reading a storybook, I observed a sentence saying '' Gogle immensely enjoyed the journey to the city Kolkata'' (Gogle -it's a name here) now my confusion is that the sentence should be, if I rewrite ''Gogle immensely enjoyed the journey of going to the city Kolkata'' it's my concept. What do you all think which one is correct and meaningful? both or the first one. And my second confusion is what does the phrase ''the journey to the city'' mean? Could you clear my confusions, please?

• Linkway

British English
    what does the phrase ''the journey to the city'' mean?
    It means travelling to the city from somewhere else.

My journey to Bombay from Kolkata was long and tiring.

Depending on context, "the journey to..." might emphasise the time spent travelling, the mode of transport or other relevant factors such as your state of mind, eg:

I spent the whole journey to the city worrying about my mother in hospital.

Tyrion Lann

INDIA -Hindi
    When you say" the journey to the city Kolkata", you focus on the noun journey which is heading towards Kolkata. However, in the later version your focus shifts from the noun to the action " going" , going to the city Kolkata.
    But when you say " the journey of going" it shows you aren't understanding what you are saying right now. A journey is all about going or traveling, and why you need to add that.

Last edited:

Tyrion Lann

INDIA -Hindi
    Well, you can use the preparation "of" with the noun journey like this:
    the journey of your life is to find yourself.
    ( Sounds philosophical, I know. After all this is the signature of all Indians :D)

< Previous | Next >