jours de battement

foumach

France francais
Bonjour, je cherche à dire battement en anglais dans le sens "prévision de soucis = au cas où".
Ce trajet devrait durer 8 jours plus 2 jours de battement, disons 10 jours:
This trip should last 8 days plus 2 days of "...", say 10 days.

Merci

• foumach

France francais
    thanks, "good measure" therefore means "to be more accurate" or "to prevent bad surprises in case we have problems" ... or both, is it idiomatic?

foumach

France francais
    if everything goes well, the trip will last 8 days, if not (customs issues, petrol, car breakdown...), the trip may last 10 days (max)

andad

American English
    I like foumach's suggestion, too.

"for good measure" means "just in case", "in the event of mistakes or accidents". It works in many contexts, but I've used it most recently for food (its original source). Just this morning in fact: Let's put in another tablespoon of flour for good measure.

Does that help?

foumach

France francais
    ah! it was for a cake, well well then I have to re-phrase my question:

when you said this: "Let's put in another tablespoon of flour for good measure": did you added the tablespoon right away so that the cake gets better instantly, or you just put the tablespoon on the table in case you miss some when you do the cake a few minutes later (then the purpose would have been: if ever I find out during making the cake in one hour that I miss flour, I will have it ready on the table and I save time)??

Case one: you adjust
    Case two: you anticipate

andad

American English
    anticipate. The flour was added because I preferred to have more than less. And the cake was good, by the way!

But I want to insist on this: the expression works in the context of your translation, too.

foumach

France francais
    ok, thank you very much to all of you!
    I will use that "for good measure" expression.
    btw, I am just back from lunch and also had a nice cake!

Talk to you.
    Etienne