Judo

Discussion in 'English Only' started by HSS, Oct 23, 2010.

1. HSS

HSS Senior Member

Sendai, Japan
    Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    I just can't find a definition for the verb version of judo in dictionaries, although I keep seeing the definition for the noun. I heard it used as a verb as below in the episode of the Dead Zone, where Johnny Smith was feeling dubious about Greg Stillson with regard to a woman missing. 'She' here is the missing lady's sister, who is appearing on TV with Stillson asking for help, and 'this' I believe refers to 'this possible crime of his.'

Does 'to judo something off of somebody' mean 'to skillfully turn it over, put it away from him (as if nothing had happened)'?

JOHNNY: What is she doing there?
    BRUCE: She's just looking for help anywhere she can find it.
    JOHNNY: We can't let Stillson judo this off of himself. I know he's involved.
    (source: Dead Zone, Finding Rachel (1))

Best,

Hiro

2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Hi HSS

Judo is not a verb, but has been pointed out here frequently, not only are nouns sometimes used as verbs despite acceptance by any authority but authors sometimes create usage peculiar only to the work at hand.

Since the sport of judo is based upon "throwing" the opponent, I suspect the author is using in in this metaphorical manner, i.e. "throwing off" the problem.

I would not regard it as normal English, but as with many such things, it might exist in some areas.

3. HSS

HSS Senior Member

Sendai, Japan
    So 'judo' here can be substituted with the more general word 'throw.' Am I right? Do you think you could use any other sport where they basically throw to win as an invented verb here, although I can't think of any on the spur of the moment:)?

4. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    There are many sports that involve throwing things, but I don't recommend any of them, not even rodeo's bronc riding where horses do their best to throw their riders into the dirt.

I don't think the use of "judo" here works, either, but some others might think differently.

5. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    I agree - "to judo" sounds like something invented by the author, or perhaps deliberately chosen to give a sense of spontaneous speech, where people often create unusual phrases or grammar.

6. HSS

HSS Senior Member

Sendai, Japan
    But I can use 'throw' here, saying 'throw this off of himself,' though? Am I right?

7. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Yes, that works. ... or maybe just "throw this off."