Juicy Julie

< Previous | Next >
Hi,
in the book I'm reading someone refers to a man like Juicy Julie.
"Anything's possible. We are talking about Juicy Julie Isherwood". What stands here Juicy for? It seems like a word game, but what's its meaning?
Thank you very much

• ewie

English English
    :eek:The mind boggles, Parole! Without further context we can only guess what it might mean. Applied to a man, though, it's fairly safe to say it's not very complimentary. (Unless his name happens to be Julius or Julian.)

Matching Mole

England, English
    Please provide more background. What book is it and what is it about? Who is Isherwood? What was the event described? "Juicy Julie" in itself is not a set nickname of character.

out2lnch

English-Canada
    Well, it actually can be relevant. 'Juicy' can mean rich in interest, and can also have sexual connotations. Is the character gay or effeminate by chance? This would explain the Julian -> Julie and 'juicy' somehow seems a suitable adjective for a flamboyant gay man (no offence to any flamboyant gay men out there). I wonder if by extravagant you mean that he has very wild or 'interesting' taste. Anyway, it is clearly a less than complimentary title, and suggests an over-the-top (gay, to me anyway) personality.

edit: I find it a bit strange though that a secret agent is flamboyant: anren't they usually nondescript. In that case, 'juicy' may mean the same as 'juicy gossip'.

ewie

English English
    Well, that was my immediate thought when I saw the thread title too, Out2. It sounds very much like a name for a camp chap, or at least a chap with flamboyant tastes/manners, quite possibly a lover of fruity art and the like.

Loob

English UK
    The book's evidently "The English Assassin" (extract here, including a description of Isherwood) . I can't see from this why he would be called "Juicy" though...

Parolearruffate, can you answer out2lnch's question and MM's earlier one about the event leading to the comment you quoted?

ewie

English English
    Quote from Loob's extract (sheesh that was dull):

"Pounds, petal. Pounds." [said Julian to his male lunch companion]

I call that fairly evidentiary [?] of a certain poufféness.

The particular event where this sentence appear doesn't seem to me very relevant. Anyway maybe some of you can find it useful. Mr Isherwood has an art gallery, now he is taking on a partner, and everybody is asking and speaking about who this partner is and why he took the decision.
    "Getting himself a flashy new front man, from what I hear". When Dimbleby asked whether Isherwood's flashy front man might in fact be an American woman named miss Bancroft, Crabbe gave him a sideways smile. "Anything's possible, love. Remember, we are talking about Juicy Julie Isherwood.
    It's not The English Assassin, but a book of the same series,this makes it difficult because maybe some features of the character appeared in another book.
    Thank you

< Previous | Next >