jumped out of vs. jumped off

< Previous | Next >

I have Doubts :)

Portuguese- Brazil
Hey guys!!!

I wonder if you could help me figure this out: is there a difference between "She jumped out of a window" and "She jumped off the building"? My friend and I were discussing the use of jump off a place and jump out of a place. Don't worry, guys, we are not doing anything stupid, just discussing the use of prepositions ;)

Thanks a lot!

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    If you're on a thing (on a bridge, on a riverbank, on a plane...) you can jump off it.
    If you're in a thing (in a window, in a building, in a plane...) you can jump out of it.

BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    If you are inside a building, you are jumping out of the building, usually through a window.
    If you are standing outside the building, on the roof or on a ledge, you jump off the building.
    If you are skydiving, you jump out of the plane not off the plane.
    You can jump off the bed not out of, unless you've hidden yourself in the mattress perhaps.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Off' is the opposite of 'on', and 'out of' is the opposite of 'in' (but means "through" when it's a window). Consider a box instead: a big, solid wooden box. You can sit in it, or you can turn it upside down and sit on it. If you're in it (inside it), you can jump out of it. If you're on it (on top of it), you can jump off it.

mass cross-posting

handsomechuck

American English (NYC region)
    Yes, "off" means you are on top and jumping down, "out" emphasizes that you are moving from the inside to the outside. You can also use "from" with either one, if you're not sure. "From" is a more general way of saying you are leaving the place of reference. You can leap from a plane, window, building, minivan, what have you.

< Previous | Next >