Jurados de la ciudad / Concellers de la ciudad [ciutat]

Discussion in 'Català (Catalan)' started by orca, Jul 18, 2017.

1. orca

orca Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    Good morning,

Is there any translation for these terms? We're talking about Cataluña, 1410.

Gracias!

2. xicranda Member

Lleida
    català, español
    What is your question exactly? You need "consellers de la ciutat" translated into english?

3. orca

orca Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    Hi,
    yes. The term appears in my book many times. The Jurados less. I'm translating a 900 pages book into Hebrew, (Los Herederos de la Tierra) and I can't look up every single term due to time limit.... So I'm trying to get some help here :)
    I'd like to know if the concelleres are advisors (to the king?), or ministers. Because the translation to Hebrew can mean both. Sometimes the term is used only with this one word, Concelleres, and not in full.
    The Jurados de la ciudad is used concerning Aragon, and without any real context, just in a list of governmental functions.
    Hope that explains more

Gracias de nuevo

4. xicranda Member

Lleida
    català, español
    Maybe that can explain a little the idea to you:

Consell de Cent - Wikipedia
    Jurado (cargo foral de Valencia) - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre
    Jurats de la Ciutat i Regne de Mallorca - Viquipèdia, l'enciclopèdia lliure
    Jurats de Girona - Viquipèdia, l'enciclopèdia lliure

The consellers de la ciutat were the ones who ruled the city of Barcelona, that was a lot more powerful than now, and the jurats de la ciutat (jurados de la ciudad in the strict area of Aragon) was the equivalent of the consellers in other cities of the confederated Crown of Aragon, formed, as you may know, by many independent kingdoms (Crown of Aragon - Wikipedia).

Maybe you can translate literally, and maybe you can explain a bit the concept in a footnote; they were powerful people that ruled the cities and also the kingdom itself, not only as advisers of the king but as rulers and lawmakers.

5. orca

orca Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    Thank you for all the links, and also the suggestion of a footnote.
    Have a great day.