1. ankendosh

ankendosh Senior Member

english
    How does it translate in this context?

from a job letter (for job search with a CV)

J'ai depuis vendu mes parts dans la compagnie et assurer une transition au niveau de la haute direction jusqu'à ce jour.

to ensure that the transition would be 'complete' or up to date...(the gist of it,not necessarily how i am going to translate it)?
    Suggestions are welcome....thanks.

2. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Hello ankendosh,

I find the original sentence awkward. For one thing, it should be « j'ai assuré » (past participle, not infinitive), but I'm really not sure of what is meant by « j'ai assuré une transition au niveau de la haute direction ».

In any event, to get the ball rolling... I'm pretty sure that « jusqu'à ce jour » can be rendered as "up until today".

3. DernierVirage

DernierVirage Senior Member

Beijing, Hong Kong
    English - United Kingdom
    I'm not sure in which direction you are translating - I think it is from English to French, but if so, can you give us the full sentence? Thanks.

4. ankendosh

ankendosh Senior Member

english
    thanks all, nico that's probably right...

also It's french to english...here's the whole thing...

En effet, j'ai annoncé mon départ en février dernier et mon successeur entre en poste en juin à titre de Vice-président exécutif. J'ai depuis vendu mes parts dans la compagnie et assurer une transition au niveau de la haute direction jusqu'à ce jour

5. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    I still don't get this « et (j'ai) assuré une transition... à ce jour » (even when I correct the grammar mistake). May be I just need a strong coffee. :p

6. ankendosh

ankendosh Senior Member

english
    it's not great writing, so don't worry!

7. DernierVirage

Beijing, Hong Kong
    English - United Kingdom
    I agree with you and Nicomon that there's something wrong with the second sentence...Assuming that I have understood the sentence, I'd suggest that you say:

"I have since sold my shares in the company but up until now I have continued to take care of the handover of responsibilities at senior management level."

I have been a bit more "wordy" in English than in French (as is often the case), but I think that it gets the meaning across better...

Hope this is of some help, anyway!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  8. ankendosh

ankendosh Senior Member

english
    thanks DV...i think that's a good translation!
    thanks all!

9. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    I like DernierVirage's solution too. Just one tiny little thing if I may... although I normally wouldn't second guess the wording of a native.

I would say that "up until now" = jusqu'à maintenant. Hence my initially suggesting "up until today", for ce jour.

10. DernierVirage

Beijing, Hong Kong
    English - United Kingdom
    I have had a careful think about what you say.

I would still translate "jusqu'à ce jour" as "up until now" in this context, because (for me at least!) "up until today" has the connotation (and indeed stresses the fact) that the action has just been completed, or will be completed before before tomorrow, which is not how I read the French version....

I'm not sure that this is much help from a strict linguistic point of view, it's just how I "taste" the phrase. It's always very useful to have this sort of debate as it really makes you think about your own language :)