just able to do something

< Previous | Next >

fabio28

america english
hello everyone ... i am having a hard time translating into spanish the use of the word " just " in the following sentences :
i was able to do it just in the nick of time
you could of called just before you went to bed
just when i started to hide they saw me
just when the rock fell i moved out of the way

...and so on ... can someone please help me ? thanks so much !

• Kräuter_Fee

Portuguese & Spanish
    i was able to do it just in the nick of time Pude hacerlo justo a tiempo.
    you could of called just before you went to bed Podías haber llamado justo antes de irte a la cama
    just when i started to hide they saw me Justo cuando me iba a esconder me vieron
    just when the rock fell i moved out of the way Justo cuando cayó la roca me quité del camino

It looks like in all your examples "just" is translated as "justo". There's another use of just, however, that we translate in a very different way:
    I have just finished my homework.
    Acabo de terminar mis deberes.
    Acabar de + verbo en infinitivo

Kräuter_Fee

Portuguese & Spanish
    Is it totally incorrect to say "I could of called"? Is it like saying "wanna" instead of "want to" or is it more incorrect than that?
    :)

fenixpollo

American English
    Kräuter_Fee said:
    Is it totally incorrect to say "I could of called"? Is it like saying "wanna" instead of "want to" or is it more incorrect than that?
    It's equally incorrect.

could have ......:arrow:..... could've............. :arrow: ............. "could of"
    The first changes to a contraction, which sounds like something else, so orthographically challenged people confuse their pronunciation with the written word.

< Previous | Next >