just enough bite

L.M.M.

Italian
Hi there,
I have sometimes seen the expression "just enough bite", and though I kind of understand the meaning, I have no idea how to translate it into Italian. Here I have no specific contest to offer because I've seen the expression here and there, mainly recipes, but also in other situations.
Any ideas of a possible Italian equivalent?
Thank you,
L.

Devi inserire solo la frase ORIGINALE nel titolo del thread, non la domanda
Come devo scegliere i titoli delle discussioni?

• L.M.M.

Italian
    Of course!
    Sorry about that, but I had no example to start with, it is just something that I have distractedly heard or read here and there and I get the meaning but I am not able to translate it properly into Italian. I was more looking for some possible translations, not just one definite translation.

Here a couple of examples...

"Østfrost have found their perfect sweet spot within the indie sound – neither jangly nor dreamy, theirs is a sound that has just enough bite to appeal to guitar loving types, whilst wielding sufficient pop sensibilities to make it very daytime radio friendly. They scored huge media acclaim with their Autumn 2015 single, ‘Wooden Floors’, and if you’re one of the lucky ones due to see them play either of their two TC sets later this week, you’ll get to hear this powerfully catchy track live."

This is from this web-page: Trondheim Calling : Let’s Talk – Østfrost

Another example:
    "Above all, the film exists as a platform for Redford to take a final bow on screen. His scenes with Spacek in particular are beautifully played and have just enough bite and irony to avoid slipping into mushy nostalgia"

From: The Old Man and the Gun exists as a platform for Robert Redford to take a final bow on screen

Thank you very much,
    nice day to you all,
    L.

curiosone

AE - hillbilly ;)
    Hi L.M.M. Since you state you have seen the phrase 'just enough bite' mostly in recipes, I think it would be useful for you to provide that sort of example here, because the examples you give seem (to me) to transpose the recipe context meaning into other contexts.

Thus said, if referring to food having 'just enough bite' I'd think (lacking your context) it meant 'just spicy enough'. The Italian phrase that comes to mind is something like "avere mordente (a sufficienza)" or "avere abbastanza grinta" - which I think might work, at least in translating the examples you did provide. Hope this helps.

L.M.M.

Italian
    Yes, you are right Curiosone, my quest was about the possible metaphorical uses... that's why I did put examples from other fields. Thank you, I appreciate your suggestions, they definitely help, none of them came to my mind.
    Bye,
    L.

Tellure

Italian
    Hi L.M.M. Since you state you have seen the phrase 'just enough bite' mostly in recipes, I think it would be useful for you to provide that sort of example here, because the examples you give seem (to me) to transpose the recipe context meaning into other contexts.

Thus said, if referring to food having 'just enough bite' I'd think (lacking your context) it meant 'just spicy enough'. The Italian phrase that comes to mind is something like "avere mordente (a sufficienza)" or "avere abbastanza grinta" - which I think might work, at least in translating the examples you did provide. Hope this helps.
    :thumbsup:

bite

3 U (= edge) gusto, sapore, fig mordente
    to have bite (di bevande o cibi) avere sapore, essere gustoso
    his speech lacks bite il suo discorso manca di mordente
    bite: traduzione in italiano - Dizionari

theartichoke

English - Canada
    For what it's worth, I would never use (or understand) "to have bite" to mean essere gustoso when applied to food. Depending on what food we're talking about, I'd assume it meant either essere al dente or essere piccante.

L.M.M.

Italian
    For what it's worth, I would never use (or understand) "to have bite" to mean essere gustoso when applied to food. Depending on what food we're talking about, I'd assume it meant either essere al dente or essere piccante.
    Thank you theartichocke, this is interesting... Maybe, a possible Italian version, both for food and translated use in other fields, it could be "pungente"... something like "appena un po' pungente"...
    Thank you everyone though,
    L.
    As far as the figurative use of the expression, something that doesn’t have enough bite might be a bit wishy washy. :)
    Thank you for the new expression! That's the first time i bump into "whishy washy" and I already love it!

< Previous | Next >