Just like that.

< Previous | Next >

dcx97

Banned
Hindi - India
Hello,

I showed a friend of mine a group photo and asked him if he knew their names. He said he did and asked me why I was asking. How would I have said, "Just like that."? I'm not looking for an exact translation; I just want to know what native speakers say when they want to tell someone they have no reason for acting in a certain way or saying a certain thing.

Thanks!

• Kelly B

USA English
    Interesting - I suppose that's a regional usage? I've never heard that expression used to mean that in English. I'd be more likely to say just wondering

Kelly B

USA English
    Nope. Before actually reading your post I had assumed you were looking for something like tout simplement, but your context was clear - my assumption was wrong. In your situation I'd use just wondering, just curious, no reason; I wouldn't say (just) like that. I am absolutely not suggesting that it's wrong, just different from what I'm used to.

dcx97

Banned
    Hindi - India
    Oh, I see. "Just wondering" and "Just curious" would work fine if someone were asking you why you'd asked them something, but what if someone wanted to know why you'd done or said something? I guess you'd say "No reason.". Are there any alternatives that come spontaneously to mind?

dcx97

Banned
    Hindi - India
    Oh, I don't know.

(That was an answer to the question. :D)
    Thanks! I guess my English has been infiltrated by Gallicisms. I subconsciously translated the French "Comme ça." and thought it was idiomatic English.

< Previous | Next >