juvenile (literature)

< Previous | Next >

Little Chandler

español (ESP)
Hi everyone,

I'm classifying some books in English, and looking through the net I'm getting a bit mixed up with the term "juvenile literature". I thought "juvenile" was halfway between "children" and "young-adult", but according to Wikipedia it's exactly the same as "young-adult literature"... or "children's literature", depending on the article (!!!). So I'm interested in how the term "juvenile" sounds to the ears of a native speaker, regardless of what dictionaries say on the subject.

Does "juvenile" sounds more to "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" or Dr. Seuss Books (say, for children up to 10) or to books (supposedly) for teenagers like "The Outsiders" or "To Kill a Mockingbird"? Or maybe both groups would be included... or maybe something in the middle... Harry Potter? :)

Well, any comments would be appreciated.

• Loob

English UK
    Hi Little Chandler

"Juvenile" sounds rather disparaging to me, regardless of what Wikipedia says:(.

My choice would be between "children's ..." and "young adult ...".

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I don't think, in my experience with American book publishers, that I've heard much use of "juvenile". Rather, there are children's books (often spoken of in the trade as "kidlit") and young adult or YA works, intended for teenagers.

< Previous | Next >