Ka-jha-bee [Kay-Jee-Bee: KGB]

Garin

Czech - Czechia
Hello, everyone, I have another puzzle from 100 BULLETS comics I need a help with. A guy called Coochie (of Russian origin, his real name is Mik Kuchenko) arrives with a bunch of thugs to kill his former friend, Wylie. Hopper, one of the Coochie’s mobsters, says: "That’s up to you, Kay-Jee-Bee." Coochie replies: "Ka-Jha-Bee? No, Hopper, I’m all about da Benjamins."
I believe "Kay-Jee-Bee" should mean KGB, pointing out Coochie’s nationality and possibly his history. But what does this reply with "Ka-Jha-Bee" and "Benjamins" mean? I can feel there is some in-joke that I just cannot decipher. Could you explain that, please?

• Myridon

English - US
    Benjamins is money ($100 bills have Benjamin Franklin on them). Communists are not (supposed to be) all about the money. ;)

Garin

Czech - Czechia
    Oh, I see, Myridon, thank you for the explanation. Does it mean that the "Ka-Jha-Bee" is just another mispronunciation of KGB?

JamesM

"Gee" and "jee" are two ways to write the same sound. The advantage of "jee" is that it is always pronounced the same in English (/dʒ/), while "gee" could be the /dʒ/ sound of "gee whiz" or the /g/ sound of "geese".

< Previous | Next >