Kakain na raw

lukaa18

English (CAN)/French(CAN)-bilingual
Hi! I heard my husband's grandmother tell him something and it sounded like "Kakain naraw"

What does that mean? On google translate it says "I'll be there" but I don't understand how it could mean that since kakain means to eat... so, what's the meaning? I can't ask my husband because I don't want him to know I'm learning his language. It's a surprise :)

• DotterKat

English (American)
    It was probably Kain na raw. This means He / She said it's time to eat.

Kain na!
    is the usual invitation to eat, the equivalent of Dinner's ready! or Dinner is served!

Raw
    or daw are used to reiterate what another person has said. Thus, Kain na raw means that somebody else (possibly the one who actually prepared the meal) said Kain na! and the grandmother was simply repeating the same statement to the rest of the party.

In Filipino gatherings, it is not uncommon for guests to show some hesitation being the first to the table. It may require the host to repeat the invitation a couple of times and for other guests to repeat the host's invitation to begin eating.

Kakain is the contemplated aspect (future tense) of kain, meaning will be eating.

Kakain na raw
    means He / She said that (somebody) will be eating.

lukaa18

English (CAN)/French(CAN)-bilingual
    It was probably Kain na raw. This means He / She said it's time to eat.

Kain na!
    is the usual invitation to eat, the equivalent of Dinner's ready! or Dinner is served!

Raw
    is used to reiterate what another person has said. Thus, Kain na raw means that somebody else (possibly the one who actually prepared the meal) said Kain na! and the grandmother was simply repeating the same statement to the rest of the party.

In Filipino gatherings, it is not uncommon for guests to show some hesitation being the first to the table. It may require the host to repeat the invitation a couple of times and for other guests to repeat the host's invitation to begin eating.

Kakain is the contemplated aspect (future tense) of kain, meaning will be eating.

Kakain na raw
    means He / She said that (somebody) will be eating.

Yeah, she probably said "Kain na raw", makes sense :) Maraming salamat!

< Previous | Next >