karaoke a cappella

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Ashley Qin, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Ashley Qin

Ashley Qin Senior Member

Chinese
    Hello English speakers, when it comes to Karaoke, does it possibly contain the acapella version?
    Thanks.

2. The pianist

The pianist Senior Member

English - US
    I honestly think that "a capella" karaoke is a contradiction in terms. In other words, no. You at least need an instrumental background. Did someone tell you that there is such a version?

3. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima (English Only)

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, karaoke means 'empty orchestra', in other words, musical instrumental accompaniment without the lead voice. (Occasionally, you might get some backing singers.) A cappella [this is the correct spelling] means singing without any instrumental accompaniment.

And so I agree with the pianist. (I suppose it is just about possible to have karaoke with just vocal accompaniment - but I have never heard one before.)

4. Ashley Qin

Ashley Qin Senior Member

Chinese
    OK, got it. But can I say "karaoke A cappella"? Because I found this expression on google.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  5. natkretep

Singapore
    Please give us more details. Without more details, we are only guessing what the phrase might mean.

6. Ashley Qin

Ashley Qin Senior Member

Chinese
    Here are some videos recorded by individuals on Youtube, with the title containing "karaoke a cappella", then is it used by native English speakers?
    example: Screenshot "2019-01-11.png"

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  7. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    I also agree with The pianist, who, for present purposes, seems to be rather aptly named. :)

The expression is simply nonsense. It may be deliberate; some people seem to think nonsense is cool.

8. natkretep

Singapore
  9. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Why would YOU want to use it? It makes as much sense as "silent orchestra":) Some people seem to think it is a good name for something, such as an album.

10. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    The first thing Google found for me was a regular karaoke video (one with musical instruments) for a song called "Acapella". :)