karaoke a cappella

Ashley Qin

Chinese
Hello English speakers, when it comes to Karaoke, does it possibly contain the acapella version?
Thanks.

• The pianist

English - US
    I honestly think that "a capella" karaoke is a contradiction in terms. In other words, no. You at least need an instrumental background. Did someone tell you that there is such a version?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, karaoke means 'empty orchestra', in other words, musical instrumental accompaniment without the lead voice. (Occasionally, you might get some backing singers.) A cappella [this is the correct spelling] means singing without any instrumental accompaniment.

And so I agree with the pianist. (I suppose it is just about possible to have karaoke with just vocal accompaniment - but I have never heard one before.)

Ashley Qin

Chinese
    OK, got it. But can I say "karaoke A cappella"? Because I found this expression on google.

Last edited:

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Please give us more details. Without more details, we are only guessing what the phrase might mean.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I also agree with The pianist, who, for present purposes, seems to be rather aptly named. :)

The expression is simply nonsense. It may be deliberate; some people seem to think nonsense is cool.

Myridon

English - US
    The first thing Google found for me was a regular karaoke video (one with musical instruments) for a song called "Acapella". :)

< Previous | Next >