Karaoke

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Would anyone please enlighten me on common ways of saying "to go to a karaoke place and sing songs"?

Would you say

- Let's go karaoke
- Let's go to karaoke
- Let's go and karaoke
- Let's go karaokeing
- Let's go singing at karaoke
- Let's go singing at a karaoke
- Let's go to a karaoke
?

Hiro/ Sendai, Japan

• mpafp

English English
    I think I'd probably say 'let's go kareoke singing' but most of the options you list would be fine. The only ones which sound really wrong to me are

- Let's go to karaoke
    - Let's go singing at karaoke
    - Let's go singing at a karaoke
    - Let's go to a karaoke

since I've never heard 'kareoke' used by English speakers to describe the event/location. Instead we would say 'a kareoke bar' or 'a kareoke night'

Scribblerr

English US
    My friends and I do karaoke a lot. This is what I hear most frequently:

"You wanna go do karaoke?"
    "We're all going to karaoke Friday." (Note: Karaoke appears as a verb here. You'll never hear "Wanna go to karaoke?")
    "We saw her at karaoke last night."
    "They met doing karaoke."
    "We should get together for karaoke sometime."

HSS

Very interesting!

If you ever put -ing at the end of karaoke as a verb, if any, would you drop "e" or keep it?

Hiro

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    Hello Hiro. You'd have to keep the e which would produce the extremely weird-looking karaokeing.

I agree with Timpeac, by the way: go sing some karaoke sounds fine to me.

sdgraham

USA English
    Would anyone please enlighten me on common ways of saying "to go to a karaoke place
    "Go to karaoke" seems to do the job quite well.

"To sing songs" is doubly redundant, i.e. what else would you do at karaoke? And what would you sing other than a song?

HSS

I'd welcome some input from downunder, from Australia and from New Zealand. It seems the acceptance of "go to karaoke" is devided.

Hiro

JamesM

Sorry, I'm not from down under, but I'd like to say that "go to", for me, is reserved for things like "go to church, go to work, go to school". "Go to karaoke" makes it sound like a duty to me, not like an evening's entertainment. I wouldn't say "go to bowling / dancing / shopping / hiking". All of those are without the "to".

JamesM

It would have a different meaning in some contexts. "I could go for karaoke" means "I wouldn't mind going to a karaoke bar". That sounds natural to me.

"Want to go for karaoke?" sounds a little odd but not really strange to me. It doesn't sound natural to my ear.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    The "for" makes it sound to me like something you would eat, similar to "Want to go for sushi?"

I would stick to "Want to go to karaoke?"

I think of karaoke as an event, and we typically go to events.

Susan Y

British English
    In Australia and New Zealand people do say 'go to karaoke' or 'go karaoking', but as karaoke is generally found in bars and pubs/ hotels, it is more common to say:

"Let's go to a karaoke bar!" or
    "Want to go to karaoke (night) at the pub?"

< Previous | Next >