Kedge-haul sailing vessels

< Previous | Next >

Pitcairner

Italian
Hi All,

While I was reading an article about the "Foyboat" (a particular and smaller kind of tug boat) I was unable to understand the meaning of below underlined quote:

Throughout the age of sail their main task, undertaken for an agreed fee (foy), was to tow or kedge-haul sailing vessels in and out of the river estuaries during periods of calm or contrary winds.

UNQUOTE

For your reference, I extrapolated this sentence from the offical website of the National Maritime Museum of Cornwall.

What does "kedge-haul" mean ? How can we say the above highligthed phrase in other words ?

Many thanks as usual for your precious assistance

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It sounds like the writer felt that "kedging" might not be understood, or used "kedge" as the noun and created a new form based on that. The WRF Collins dictionary is "BE-centric" and has this entry

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
    kedge/kɛdʒ/
    vb ...to draw (a vessel) along by hauling in on the cable of a light anchor that has been dropped at some distance from it, or (of a vessel) to be drawn in this fashion
    n ... a light anchor, used esp for kedging

Have you looked in a dictionary? Here is Merriam-Webster on the word kedge:
    v. i.1.(Naut.) To move (a vessel) by carrying out a kedge in a boat, dropping it overboard, and hauling the vessel up to it.
    n.1.(Naut.) A small anchor used whenever a large one can be dispensed with. See Kedge, v. t., and Anchor, n.

The action is also known as warping, and you may read more here:
    Warping (sailing) - Wikipedia

[cross-posted]

Pitcairner

Italian
    Hi GreenWhiteBlue,

Your intervention really helped me, many thanks.

I also found a video that briefly explains this operation that before I was struggling to graphically image only by reading its dictionary definition.

[Video link removed. DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >