Keep it, hold it, tightly and dearly

< Previous | Next >

LookAtMe

Italian
Hello everybody.
Suppose you and I are friends or business partners or neighbours or lovers and we're now having an argument over belongings which we used to own together.

My question here is whether in English there is an expression allowing you to express your anger which features the verbs "hold" or "keep" or "hold dearly", "hold tightly", "keep dearly" and "keep tightly". That's because in Italian there exist such expressions with those verbs and I do find them very useful when necessary.

So I would say to you something like:
"You can go to hell. And you can tightly keep the books (or CDs). I don't need them"
"I don't want to do business with you any longer and you can dearly keep the bloody car."
" I hate you. And you can hold tightly the bloody shop. I've always hated it anyway."

The more bitter and sarcastic your answers and solutions the better.
Thank you in advance for your kind replies.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You seem to be describing an Italian method of emphasis:

The chief verbs in English are "keep" and "have" - the phrasal verb "to hold on to [something]" is used but this very, very, rarely used with an emphatic because it is usually concessive.

"You can go to hell. And you can damn well keep the books (or CDs). I don't need them"
    "I don't want to do business with you any longer and you can sodding well keep the bloody car."
    " I hate you. And you can fucking well have the bloody shop. I've always hated it anyway."

etc.

LookAtMe

Italian
    You seem to be describing an Italian method of emphasis:

The chief verbs in English are "keep" and "have" - the phrasal verb "to hold on to [something]" is used but this very, very, rarely used with an emphatic because it is usually concessive.

"You can go to hell. And you can damn well keep the books (or CDs). I don't need them"
    "I don't want to do business with you any longer and you can sodding well keep the bloody car."
    " I hate you. And you can fucking well have the bloody shop. I've always hated it anyway."

etc.
    PaulQ,
    thank you very much for you reply.

I got it now.
    "Well keep + object" or "Well have + object" preceded by the spiteful swear word you fancy in that boiling moment. Mmm how satisfying!

< Previous | Next >