Keep my eyes (away?) from the circling sky

roxanelag

Spanish-Spain
Hello there folks. How are you today?
I'm learning the song 'Learning to Fly' by Pink Floyd and I don't quite get the sentence 'Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky.'
I've looked up 'keep something from something else' but nothing. Does the singer leave out 'away', as in 'keep away', because he can't stop looking at the sky?

Thank you so much
Best regards 🙂

• cidertree

Béarla na hÉireann (Hiberno-English)
    'Can't keep my eyes from (looking at) the circling sky.' means that I can't help/avoid looking at the sky. - "away" hasn't been omitted; your eyes don't go to the sky, your gaze does.

'Can't keep my eyes off the circling sky.' is probably more common.

Uncle Jack

British English
    There is no need for "away". Usually we say that a person cannot keep their eyes off something or someone, but "from" is a possible alternative. "From" is more commonly followed by a gerund, though, usually "looking".

[cross-posted]

roxanelag

Spanish-Spain
    'Can't keep my eyes from (looking at) the circling sky.' means that I can't help/avoid looking at the sky. - "away" hasn't been omitted; your eyes don't go to the sky, your gaze does.

'Can't keep my eyes off the circling sky.' is probably more common.
    There is no need for "away". Usually we say that a person cannot keep their eyes off something or someone, but "from" is a possible alternative. "From" is more commonly followed by a gerund, though, usually "looking".

[cross-posted]
    Good afternoon, Cidertree and Uncle Jack. How are you?
    I'm so sorry for my super late response. I did read your posts yesterday but I couldn't text back. I'm sorry.

So, 'keep somebody's eyes' off something but from something is also a possibility.
    Thanks 😅
    I guess that I looked up 'keep from' and I should have looked up only 'keep' and... I don't know. This is a strange language 😉

As for 'away' and 'off' they are sometimes interchangeable: I scared away/off the dog. But I understand the explanation. I see the logic in it.

Thanks to you both and, I'm sorry.
    Complicated times and head far away are always together.

Best regards!

kentix

English - U.S.
    Remember also that song lyrics are often vague and lacking in an easily understood meaning. I think this line is very direct in meaning and so not so hard, but so many songs leave you guessing. Just knowing English is not sufficient.:rolleyes:

Case in point, what is "the circling sky"?

I'm not looking for an answer because it's off-topic, but lyrics can get very cloudy (no pun intended).

roxanelag

Spanish-Spain
    Remember also that song lyrics are often vague and lacking in an easily understood meaning. I think this line is very direct in meaning and so not so hard, but so many songs leave you guessing. Just knowing English is not sufficient.:rolleyes:

Case in point, what is "the circling sky"?

I'm not looking for an answer because it's off-topic, but lyrics can get very cloudy (no pun intended).
    Hi Kentix. How are you?
    I know what you mean. I've learnt a few songs. U2 is a band mostly impossible to 'decode', for example.

This time though, I presumed it was something which could have a grammar explanation.

Thank you so much
    🙂
    Best