keep sociable hours

< Previous | Next >

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
Hello everyone,

I'm translating Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic & Baby, and I came across a sentence I don't quite understand.
Venetia is Becky's obstetrician and her husband's former girlfriend. They are talking about getting together one evening - Venetia and Luke (B's husband) used to date while on college, and now they met again after many years. Venetia says: ' "To be honest, it's been pretty hard starting again in London. My old friends have their lives; they've moved on. Besides which, I don't always keep sociable hours, and Justin travels abroad a lot, of course." '
I'm guessing it means she doesn't go out/meet with friends regularly. Am I right?

stargazer

• Oeco

English - US
    My sense of that phrase is that she is not available for some reason during hours that would make social relationships possible. Maybe she works from 3 p.m. to midnight making going out for dinner with friends difficult.

RolandLavengro

British English
    Sociable hours in London will vary according to the social milieu, the days of the week, the seasons of the year and other biographical profiles of the individuals involved. However, in general one would expect to go out for dinner around 7 pm and get back before midnight - especially if one is a professional (obstetrician? do they work shifts?) and needs to be up early to get the undergound to work. I am not sure I'd want to go out with my wife's former boyfriend? Maybe I should read this book and ease up a little!

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    Hello and THANKS to all of you!
    (Becky is not too keen on doing that, too. Maybe you should read the book, RolandLavengro, it's quite fun)

Take care,
    stargazer

< Previous | Next >