Keep that rubber on the road

AliBadass

persian
Hello. In the movie ' The Lincoln Lawyer ( 2011 ) ' Edie and Michal ( the lawyer ) are having a conversation, at the end of it the Michal tells Edie ' keep that rubber on the road, Edie.' In this movie Edie and a bunch of his friends ride some kind of heavy motorcycles.
What is the meaning of ' keep that rubber on the road '?

• pob14

American English
    Tires are made of rubber. He's essentially saying "don't run that thing off the road and kill yourself."

Note: Eddie is typically a male name, the nickname for Edward (and pronounced with a short E). Edie is typically a female name (pronounced with a long E). I believe the character in that movie is "Eddie."

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I can't tell from the limited context, but in the context of motor vehicles, "rubber" = tyres (often, but not always, moving quickly.)

"... ran [...] out to the [...] truck and burned [...] rubber all the way to the clinic’s ER." - i.e. made the tyres smoke. ["Incarnations of Burned Children." by David Foster Wallace]

Last edited:

AliBadass

persian
    Could it possibly mean that the lawyer is telling him to start your bike and leave, because his bike and other bikers have stopped their bikes kind of in front of his car and the lawyer is just saying move your bike and let us through. Is what I'm thinking right?

Myridon

English - US
    I don't think so. Their rubber is currently on the pavement so they could keep it there while standing still. There are several possible things he could be saying, but we need to know the relationship between Eddie and the speaker, the general nature of their conversation (is it a nice chat or an argument, etc.), the tone of voice in which it is said (like someone saying goodbye, like someone who is angry, etc.)

sdgraham

USA English
    Could it possibly mean that the lawyer is telling him to start your bike and leave, because his bike and other bikers have stopped their bikes kind of in front of his car and the lawyer is just saying move your bike and let us through. Is what I'm thinking right?
    We could speculate forever in this context vacuum.

For starters, the bikers mentioned are drug-dealing clients of the lawyer and they have an amicable association.

"Keep that rubber on the road" is not a standard English expression and therefore, we cannot provide a standard English answer.

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Please describe to us what is happening in the scene. Is Eddie driving Michael's car? Where are they? Who is present and what are they talking about or doing?

AliBadass

persian
    Please describe to us what is happening in the scene. Is Eddie driving Michael's car? Where are they? Who is present and what are they talking about or doing?

No. Eddie rides his bike. Michael got his own driver. They're in a street. It's a conversation between Michael and Eddie about a drug dealer that Michael is representing.

< Previous | Next >