Keep your head down

Melz0r

English, England
Is there an expression in German that means "keep your head down", in the sense of "keeping quiet"? I don't mean keeping quiet about anything specific - just going about one's own business without making a fuss.

Thanks!

• Schultzy

English - Britain
    When you say keep your head down, do you mean in the sense of keeping out of trouble/low profile?

'Bleib locker' (at least to me) means 'keep calm' or 'stay cool' which doesn't really fit for keeping a low profile?

I'm sure there are going to be better suggestions, but the only one I can think of would be 'sich unverdächtig verhalten'.

sokol

Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    There are several idioms which could fit.

For example I guess that the English idiom - "keep your head down" - also could mean, in a criminal context, to keep a low profile so as to not attract attention of the police. You could use here "untertauchen" but this would only fit this context and wouldn't be good for other meanings the English idiom could have.
    This just to illustrate that we need just a tiny little bit more - context! ;)

Feldmaus

Austria, German
    There is "den Kopf einziehen" - could be translated into "to duck one's head" in the sense to avoid responsibility.

< Previous | Next >