Keeping in view

< Previous | Next >

s21d

hindi
Keeping in view the Nepal earthquake, our organisation is raising money for the victims.

Kindly tell me if the phrase keeping in view is syntactically correct here if I want to mean that because of the Nepal earthquake.

• Chez

English English
    It's not really very natural in this context.

'Keeping in mind' is a bit better, but still not what we would naturally say here.

Maybe: With the Nepal earthquake very much in our minds/thoughts, our organisation...

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Keeping in view the Nepal earthquake, our organisation is raising money for the victims.
    "Keeping in view ..." suggests that the Nepal earthquake is only a background factor in what follows.
    "... our organisation is raising money for the victims" states a very direct action in support of the victims.

The sentence is unnecessarily convoluted. What you really want to say is:
    "Our organisation is raising money for the victims of the Nepal earthquake."

Your "Keeping in view" version would make sense if you were raising money for an organisation that, amongst a great deal else, is supporting victims of the earthquake.
    And I think I would prefer to say "Keeping in mind" rather than in "view".
    For example:
    "Keeping in mind the Nepal earthquake, our organisation is raising money for Medicins sans Frontieres."

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    I think you are remembering the phrase in view of (without keeping), which means because.

"In view of
    the Nepal earthquake, our organization is raising money for the victims." would work, but panjandrum's "Our organization is raising money for the victims of the Nepal earthquake." is much more straightforward. The whole world already knows why you might be raising money for people in Nepal at the moment.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >