kept/kept up

< Previous | Next >

karen512

French - French
Hello

Please help me what is the sentence I can use?

1- He kept his secret relationship with Kelly in the entire series.
2- He kept up his secret relationship with Kelly in the entire series.

• owlman5

English-US
    What are you trying to say, Karen? Are you trying to say that he deliberately kept others from knowing about his relationship with Kelly? If that is what you are trying to say, I suggest that you change the position of "secret": He kept his relationship with Kelly secret for/during the entire series."

If you are trying to say that he maintained his secret relationship with Kelly, then "kept up" is fine. "Kept" wouldn't be clear with that meaning.

karen512

French - French
    Thanks. What I mean is he was cheating on his girlfriend and had a secret relationship with Kelly

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome.

What I mean he was cheating on his girlfriend and had a secret relationship with Kelly
    This explanation looks much clearer to me than your original sentence did. I think you should use it: He was cheating on his girlfriend and had a secret relationship with Kelly.:thumbsup:

karen512

French - French
    Thank you so much. But how can I emphasis that he was cheating on his girlfriend by hiding his relationship in the entire series?

owlman5

English-US
    If you need that phrase, you can just add it. I recommend that you use "during" rather than "in": He was cheating on his girlfriend and had a secret relationship with Kelly during the entire series.

< Previous | Next >