kept pounding me

Kacy.H

Chinese
Hello, people. Is 'kept pounding me' a metorphor here? What does it mean? Many many thanks!

In a Youtube video, a person is talking about how his mom built confidence in him. His mom praised him for little things like opening the door for an old lady at a McDonald's

"Positive energy is a good thing. She just kept pounding me and making me feel like the ordinary was something that was extraordinary until I finnally believed it so much."(Source: Youtube Video)

Last edited:
  • lingobingo

English - England
    “She just kept pounding me” is not a typical example of its use. Here are a couple of more representative examples:

The work ethic was pounded into me from an early age.
    By then, they’ve had the idea so pounded into them that they’ll take the course the counselors want them to take.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    “She just kept pounding me” is not a typical example of its use. Here are a couple of more representative examples:

The work ethic was pounded into me from an early age.
    By then, they’ve had the idea so pounded into them that they’ll take the course the counselors want them to take.
    Thank you! I'll just forget about that video!

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Are you sure they said "pounding"? :confused: That sounds totally bizarre in this context.

Then again, maybe they weren't a native speaker? "until I finally believed it so much" is also funky.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    Are you sure they said "pounding"? :confused: That sounds totally bizarre in this context.

Then again, maybe they weren't a native speaker? "until I finally believed it so much" is also funky.
    I'm not sure! :) The subtitles say 'kept pounding me'.
    The person is a very famous American entrepreneur GaryVee, though he is a Russian American.
    If you have time, you can research 'how to build self-esteem in children Garyvee'. At 2:09
    WechatIMG4.jpeg

I'm not sure if linking videos like this is allowed.;)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Yes, he does say "pounding."

It works in that context because he's saying she did it a lot -- she complimented him on all kinds of mundane things most parents don't compliment their children on.

So she kept "pounding" him with compliments. One after the other. That sort of thing.

(The sentence doesn't end at "so much." He says "so much that...," so it works.)

< Previous | Next >