kept thinking about

Arcona

German
Hello,

I need your help again.

The last time they saw each other was in September 2010. But he kept thinking about her.

I am not sure if the second sentence implies that he is still thinking of her or did he only do that in the past and is not anymore?

Thank you.

• Biffo

English - England
    The likelihood is that he no longer keeps thinking about her. All we know for sure from the use of the past tense is that at some time in the past he did it. We know nothing from that sentence about the present because 'kept' is simple past.

Arcona

German
    What would you have to say then, when has been thinking about her but he still is?

He has not stoped thinking about her. But I think that means all he does is thinking about her, doesn't it. That would be too much.

Biffo

English - England
    The last time they saw each other was in September 2010. But he still thinks about her [continually/often/all the time].

If you keep doing something it means that it is a regular habit or, in extreme cases, an obsession. It means continually not continuously.

Arcona

German
    Thank you very much for your help, Biffo.
    But how could you say it when thinking about her is not an obsession and not a regular habit, because he has his own happy life now. He just likes to think back to the time they had together and these memories keep come back from time to time (for instance when he hears the name of the country where they met) and he just enjoys those memories.

Biffo

English - England
    The last time they saw each other was in September 2010. But he still thinks about her...

sometimes
    once in a while
    every so often
    now and again
    from time to time

< Previous | Next >