Khaleeji Arabic: قد

faraula

polish
Salaam,
I wonder how to use قد. Is it the same قد from MSA as describing past events? Or is it simply another word derived from a verb?
Please give me couple of examples. I have to add that I hear "gadd" pretty often in khaleeje dialogs.

إنت مو قد الكلام

My literal translation attempt: You didn't do (meaning say) these words.

• djamal 2008

arabic
    قد و المضارع للتشكيك, قد و الماضي للتثبيت,

كان قد +الماضي= كي تصف عن حادث في الماضي حصل قبل حدث ثان

كان قد جاء قبل ما جئت
    يكون المطر قد نزلت عندما جاء و في هذه الحالة تصف وقوع حالة قبل اخرى في المستبقل,

Last edited:

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Thanks a lot for dmajal2008 for his explanations about "qad".
    As for Faraulah question, "qadd" here in this context:
    means that a person doesn't fulfill words.He doesn't tell the truth or keep promises.He only just says but without actions.

You aren't a man of his word

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    إنت مو قد الكلام
    Originally, this قَدّ is used for clothes specifically هذا القميص مو على قدك, it means "this shirt is not the same size as your build" (i.e., it does not fit), from MSA (Lisaan al-Arab): والقدُّ أيضًا قامة الرجل وتقطيعهُ , meaning that it's his height or the shape and size of his body.

So basically, the phrase above means "you do not fit your words", implying that the words are bigger than you. Later, the use became almost identical to the MSA قَدْر, so it can be rendered in MSA as أنت لست بقدر الكلام.

By the way, I've also heard it quite commonly in Iraq and the Levant, so I don't think it's restricted to Khaleej area.

Last edited:

faraula

polish
    Teslamu Maha and Ayed. To summerize, here gadd is a noun, and it's common in spoken language, yes?
    So fer example can I say: Ana mu gadd shughli? Meaning my work doesn't fit me?

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    Exactly, implying that you can't handle your work because it's too big/much/complicated/sophistocated...etc. for you. Fit here is a physical fit (just imagine clothes too big so you are unable to fill them).

However, if you mean by "my work doesn't fit me" that it has a type that is not compatable with you (not your type, not what you like...etc.) then I would go for ما يناسبني (or MSA لا يناسبني).

Wadi Hanifa

Arabic
    There are two قد's.

قدّ with a shadda is not a particle but a noun used to describe size, amount, or measure. It occurs in MSA as well with a related but slightly different meaning than in dialects.

The other قد you're thinking of is a particle used in both MSA and most Peninsular dialects to modify verbs and create different tenses.

faraula

polish
    Thank you for all explanations. They are very useful. Now I need to make use of it.
    Could you please give couple of sentences in dialect with qad as a particle :)

Mr.Marjooj

KSA
    Arabic -Saudi Dialect
    Mar7aba!..since this is my first post in this forum, I'd like you guys to excuse my poor English. I am not linguistic but I have great enthusiasm about Arabic language in general and how we young generation here in saudi are useing and enriching it for our good.

As far as I know The word "qad pronounced like god in English:قـد " in Najdi dialect which I speak is used as (particle), (Noun) and (Adjective).

As Noun:

1- مياســـة الــقــد = a woman with a beautiful (bodily) shape
    (This set phrase mainly appears in poetry. used only for female never applied to male)

2- القـميص ذاك جاء على قدك؟ = does that shirt (you bought) fit for your body?

As Adjective:

1- !أنـت قـدهـا وقـدود = you're definitely good enough to do it!
    (very commonly used among young people here in Saudi because it sounds cool, cheers up and gives encouragement as well)

As Particle:

1- قــد طـلـعــت؟ = Have you left yet? (past)
    قــــــد نـــــام؟ = Has he slept yet? (past)

2- قــدك بـتطلع؟ = You were just about to leave? weren't you?! (past)

.اليوم كان مالي نفس, قـدنـــي بسحب على المحاضرة = This morning I felt down, I was going to skip the class.

(The second use of قـد as particle is particularly used in some tribal dialects in Najd {such as Qahtan "Joctan in Bible"} and Southern part of the Arabian peninsula{Ghamid,Yam,Zahran..etc} .and I think the word قـدنـي is derived from combination of قـد + إني in MSA)

I hope this will help you.

Note: If there is any question regarding Bedouin dialects, I would be happy to answer it because I am Bedouin.

Salam (=peace,hello,bye) :)

Last edited:

londonmasri

English
    Mar7aba!..since this is my first post in this forum, I'd like you guys to excuse my poor English. I am not linguistic but I have great enthusiasm about Arabic language in general and how we young generation here in saudi are useing and enriching it for our good.
    Salam (=peace,hello,bye) :)
    Salam Mr Marjooj.

On the contrary your English is excellent mashallah!
    Welcome to the forum.
    :)

faraula

polish
    Ahlan wa sahlan mr.marjooj. It's great to find people so enthusiastic about arabic!

Your answer is very useful and exactly what I asked for. Thank you.

Wadi Hanifa

Arabic
    The examples given by Mr. Marjooj are more Southern than Najdi because they attach pronouns to قد (e.g. قدني, قدهم, etc.).

Here are some more Najdi examples:

ما قد رحت لامريكا
    I've never been to America

قد رحت لامريكا؟/ما قد رحت لأمريكا؟
    Have you ever gone to America/Haven't you ever gone to America?

قد رحت لهم
    I've gone to them before.

يوم وصلت بيته ولينه قد راح
    By the time I arrived at his house, he had already left.

رحت بيته وهو قد راح
    I went to his house after he had left.

قد خِطْبَتْ هاك الحين
    She had already been proposed to at that time.

Of course, in Najd, قد is pronounced either gid (with a hard 'g'), or if you want a more old-fashioned pronunciation, dzid.

In the South, I notice it's more like gud, gudni, gudak, etc.

Last edited:

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Brother Wadi, so do we in Najdi region use قدني قدك قدهم قدهي/ قدها
    راح يوم قدني جاي
    He left with that I came
    يوم قدك بتجي لاهو يوم راح
    When you were about to come over, he had just left
    غرزوا يوم قدهم جايين
    Their car stuck in the sand as they were coming.
    قدهي مجوز
    She is old enough for marriage.

djamal 2008

arabic
    إن أصل كلمة "قَدْ" تعني يكْفِي : مثلا : قدني دينارٌ أي يكفيني دينار, و يعتبر اسم فاعل لا يعرب, و يجوز استعمال قَطْ و فقط يعني إذن فيكفي.

According to the translations provided by our dearest friends from the Najd land, we can assume that it means yet, already, now,and just is from I understood.

Thanks for your enlightment.

Wadi Hanifa

Arabic
    Brother Wadi, so do we in Najdi region use قدني قدك قدهم قدهي/ قدها
    راح يوم قدني جاي
    He left with that I came
    يوم قدك بتجي لاهو يوم راح
    When you were about to come over, he had just left
    غرزوا يوم قدهم جايين
    Their car stuck in the sand as they were coming.
    قدهي مجوز
    She is old enough for marriage.
    Yes, but it is a minority usage, associated mostly with southern Najdi tribes. I'm guessing the Ga7a6een attach the pronoun? I know that the حضر of Najd don't attach a pronoun to قد.

DarrenLamb

English - British
    As Particle:

How does this differ to the Khaleeji

طلعت لو بعد؟ = Have you left yet?

نام لو بعد؟ = Has he slept yet?

malmerri

USA
    Khaleeji (Gulf) Arabic
    I was about to post a new thread about فد but I found this one. I hope someone that could help. I am trying to categorize قد or find out what it is exactly.

Now in MSA, قد is considered a particle, (اداء / حرف) which is very clear, if it is used with a verb in the past form, it would add the meaning of التاكيد assertion. And if it is used with a verb in the present tense, it gives the meaning of شك doubt.

The other قدّ with a Shadda, is a noun or Verb.

I am not sure about the one used in Khaleeji. Would it be considered an auxiliary verb? Just like it was mentioned above قد could have pronouns attached to it, and believe those are Object Pronouns (Correct me if I am wrong) and it precedes a verb in the past form or a future present verb or Active participle and the meaning it add is of time (Would it make it an adverb?)
    قدني طالع I was about to leave
    قدني طلعت I already left
    قدني بطلع I was about to leave

قدني واصل I am almost there
    قدني وصلت I am already here
    قدني بوصل I was about to get there

As Particle:

2- قــدك بـتطلع؟ = You were just about to leave? weren't you?! (past)

.اليوم كان مالي نفس, قـدنـــي بسحب على المحاضرة = This morning I felt down, I was going to skip the class.

(The second use of قـد as particle is particularly used in some tribal dialects in Najd {such as Qahtan "Joctan in Bible"} and Southern part of the Arabian peninsula{Ghamid,Yam,Zahran..etc} .and I think the word قـدنـي is derived from combination of قـد + إني in MSA)
    :)
    I could see it as a particle but if pronouns is attached to it would it be a particle? It is very interesting how you analysed قدني but I don't think in MSA قد أني is ever used (Correct me if I am mistaken)

Your help is appreciated

princeipeazul

Filipino
    The examples given by Mr. Marjooj are more Southern than Najdi because they attach pronouns to قد (e.g. قدني, قدهم, etc.).

ما قد رحت لامريكا

قد رحت لهم

يوم وصلت بيته ولينه قد راح
    By the time I arrived at his house, he had already left.

رحت بيته وهو قد راح
    I went to his house after he had left.

قد خِطْبَتْ هاك الحين
    She had already been proposed to at that time.

Of course, in Najd, قد is pronounced either gid (with a hard 'g'), or if you want a more old-fashioned pronunciation, dzid.

In the South, I notice it's more like gud, gudni, gudak, etc.
    Hi. Is قد also used in Najdi arabic for recent past actions? for example I want to say "The delivery man has already arrived (today)", how would you say it in Najdi?

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Hi. Is قد also used in Najdi arabic for recent past actions? for example I want to say "The delivery man has already arrived (today)", how would you say it in Najdi?
    You could simply say:
    جانا موصل الطلبات اليوم
    to use قد you would have an asker to answer their question with قد
    هو جاء موصل الطلبات ؟
    إيه، قد جاء

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    In Hassaniya قد is pronounced قطّ (giTT). It is not "cat" (which is "gaTT" or "mesh") when used as a particle before a verb when a past action occured or when asking if it has ever been done, for instance:

قطّ مشيت لثمّ؟ (have you ever been there?).

Used with ما, it means "never", like ما قطّ رايته (I've never seen him).

The equivalent in Hassaniya
    ما قد رحت لامريكا
    ما قطّ سافرت لأميركا
    قط سافرت لأميركا؟/ما قط سافرت لأميركا؟
    قد رحت لهم
    قطّ مشيت لهم

As for قدّ (said gedd) used to mean "to fit" or referring to the size, it is the same as in (most) other dialects.
    2- القـميص ذاك جاء (على) قدك؟ = does that shirt (you bought) fit for your body?
    The same would be said in Moroccan (including Hassaniya) dialects

The difference with Najdi would be when it means just now which is توّ and to be about which is (بعد أن(ك (ba3danni/nek).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >