Khaleeji Arabic/All dialects: Even though

DarrenLamb

English - British
Hi,
Just wondering the best way to say 'even though' in Khaleeji, or even other dialects. Is it حتى يوم ? I know that can be also used to mean 'even when' so not sure if this is the best way to say 'even though.'

• DarrenLamb

English - British
    For example; 'even though I'm old I play sports.' How would you say that? As for 7atta yoom I know that it's used for 'even when' and although I havent got an example with me right now I'm sure I've heard it used for 'even though,' but can't remember which is why I asked.

إسكندراني

عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    مع أنّي كبير في السّن أمارس الرياضة despite
    رغم أنّي كبير في السّن أمارس الرياضة despite
    حتّى لو تعبنا نعمل even if we become tired we work
    حتّى لمّا نتعب نعمل even when we are tired we work
    حتّى يوم الأجازة نعمل even on the day off we work

DarrenLamb

English - British
    Interesting, thanks for clarifying. Although I'd say that 7ata yoom can mean 'even when' in the Gulf seeing as yoom is used to mean 'when' as well as 'day.' I supose like 3indama in MSA.

إسكندراني

عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Interesting, thanks for clarifying. Although I'd say that 7ata yoom can mean 'even when' in the Gulf seeing as yoom is used to mean 'when' as well as 'day.' I supose like 3indama in MSA.
    Maybe they say something like
    حتّى يوم اتعب اروح لعملي even [when] I'm tired I go to my work.

We say it in Egypt but in my head it's always a bit 'metphorical', not really a 'when':
    حتّىٰ يوم ما باتعب باروح شغلي

Is it a 'full-blown when' in the Gulf? اكلّمك يوم اجي = I'll call you when I come?

DarrenLamb

English - British
    Yeah perhaps it carries the metaphorical meaning then, although they say things like 'yoom shuftek....' to mean 'when I saw you.' Perhaps a Khaleeji can clarify the meaning

DarrenLamb

English - British
    Perhaps I've made myself misunderstood in the sense that I said it means when. I dont interpret it as being used to mean 'when?' as in a question. Just as a way to refer to the past, a bit like lamma or 3indama

Masjeen

Arabic
    Can you switch the sentence round and say:
    أمارس الرياضة مع أنّي كبير في السّن
    أمارس الرياضة مع أنّي كبير في السّن :tick: Typical Arabic sentence.
    مع أنّي كبير في السّن أمارس الرياضة it is not wrong but it miss something i prefer to say مع أنّي كبير في السّن لكني أمارس الرياضة

< Previous | Next >