Ki van zárva, hogy télen bárki is beleessen a vízbe.

angeloegabri

Italian
Good morning to everyone :):)

I found the following text:

"Úgy látszik, visszavonhatatlanul vége a balatoni szezonnak. A mentőöveket is bevették már a tó partjáról. Az életmentés csak a nyárra vonatkozik. Ki van zárva, hogy télen bárki is beleessen a vízbe."

Now I have the following question:

Am I right or wrong if I say that the phrase "[Ki van zárva,] hogy télen bárki is beleessen a vízbe" should have a question-mark at its end?

(I mean: without question-mark, I can't find any reading intonation of that phrase.)

Can someone help me?

angeloegabri

• angeloegabri

Italian
    Thank you very much for your answer, AndrasBP :):)
    Now, I understand, it's ironic, but what I don't understand is how a Hungarian "feels" that phrase.
    I thought that "hogy" in this case meant "how": so for me with a question-mark everything was easy.
    Without question-mark, where does the voice make a pause?

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    I thought that "hogy" in this case meant "how"
    No, "hogy" is a conjuction here (= "that").
    "Ki van zárva, hogy..." means "there's no way that..." or "it's impossible that..." (literally, "it's excluded that").

Without question-mark, where does the voice make a pause?
    There might be a short pause after "zárva" (where the comma is :)).

Last edited:

angeloegabri

Italian
    Oh AndrasBP, thank you very, very much! :):)
    "Ki van zárva, hogy ...." = "it's excluded that ....", and "hogy" here is a conjunction!
    And the pause is where there is the comma! :):):):)
    This evening I am eating happier (in a few minutes) and I owe it to you! :):)

francisgranada

Hungarian
    Am I right or wrong if I say that the phrase "[Ki van zárva,] hogy télen bárki is beleessen a vízbe" should have a question-mark at its end?
    Agreeing with AndasBP, I'd like to add that the phrase "Ki van zárva, hogy télen bárki is beleessen a vízbe ?" (with a question-mark at the end) would be a normal, idiomatic question.

(it works similarly also in your mother tongue. Constatation: "È escluso che qualcuno cada nell'acqua." Question: "È escluso che qualcuno cada nell'acqua ?" Il verbo "beleessen" è al congiuntivo ugualmente come "cada" in italiano)

angeloegabri

Italian
    Good day, francisgranada! :):)
    And thank you for what you added about the possibility of a question-mark at the phrase's end in case of a normal question-phrase.
    As well as for the Italian explanations :):)
    Thank you very, very much!