kick feelings of inferiority

Pidginboy

India-Local dialect
Dear students, everybody should participate in these games and kick all complexes of inferiority or the tacit sense of worthlessness.

I am using 'kick' in the sense of 'get rid of'. Does it give such intended meaning? If not, what are the alternatives? shun or eschew?

• fir

farsi
    I believe that "get rid of" is an accepatable definition. We have othe combinations like "kick the habit" in which kick means getting rid of, breaking, putting an end to something.

George French

English - UK
    Dear students, everybody should participate in these games and kick all complexes of inferiority or the tacit sense of worthlessness.

I am using 'kick' in the sense of 'get rid of'. Does it give such intended meaning? If not, what are the alternatives? shun or eschew?
    If you have to ask the question then there is doubt in your mind. Is this because you are not sure that your audience will understand the use of kick? If so, then do not use it. Fir has given you some options.

GF..

Matching Mole

England, English
    "Kick" in your sentence appears to mean "hit with the foot" (its literal meaning), which is no doubt not what you intend, and doesn't make much sense. "Kick" on its own only means "to rid oneself of" in the set phrase "kick the habit" (or phrases modelled on this) and does not work outside of this set formula.

< Previous | Next >