kick me - jew me - kike me

< Previous | Next >

veracity

Hi,

M. Jackson lyrics.

I know what jew or kike mean as a noun.
In Jacksons allegedly antisemitic song they are used as verbs.

Can you tell me what the meanings of the verbs are?

Jew me! - What shoud they do to me?

Thanks.

• Matching Mole

England, English
    There is an article on this song in Wikipedia. Mr Jackson gives a rather incomprehensible explanation.

I am the voice of the accused and the attacked. I am the voice of everyone. I am the skinhead, I am the Jew, I am the black man, I am the white man. I am not the one who was attacking. It is about the injustices to young people and how the system can wrongfully accuse them.

I'm not at all sure this is a language question of the sort that we can meaningfully discuss within the scope of the forum. It's a matter of speculation as to what a particular person meant by certain words in using them idiosyncratically.

veracity

So.
    In English, is it meaningless to use a word like jew as a verb? It is not a philosophical question.

I think "Jew me!" is something like "Regard me as a jew!" or " Believe that I am a jew!"

I think my question is just a simple language question, nothing more. I do not care much about Jacksons political views.

Thanks.

Matching Mole

England, English
    I don't take it as a philosophical question either. What I mean is that he uses the words idiosyncratically rather than according to common or even, I think, comprehensible, usage. I think it is only possible to speculate. Even his own justification seems not to help. This is not untypical of pop lyrics.

Copyright

American English
    So.
    In English, is it meaningless to use a word like jew as a verb? It is not a philosophical question.

I think "Jew me!" is something like "Regard me as a jew!" or " Believe that I am a jew!".
    Jew has a long history of being a verb (redline mine):

TRANSITIVE VERB:
    Offensive jewed, jew·ing, jews
    1. To bargain shrewdly or unfairly with. Often used with down.
    2. To haggle so as to reduce (a price). Often used with down.
    ETYMOLOGY:
    From Jews' supposedly extortionate practices as moneylenders in the Middle Ages

Example (mine): Don't try to jew me on the price.

LV4-26

In this sentence, jew may or may not be used as described in Copyright's dictionary quote.

I tend to agree with MM and Harry here about songwriting.
    More generally speaking, if we start wondering about jew being used as a verb in this song, then what will we make of the following?
    No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
    Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
    With just a pocketful of hope

(Lennon - Gimme some truth)
    :)

< Previous | Next >