Kiddo (classroom use)

< Previous | Next >

PeppermintPattie

English - USA
I am a high school teacher and I call my students "kiddo." Would it be appropriate to call them fiston/fillette? If not, is there a better term for an adult to a teenager that shows platonic affection?

• mehoul

french
    No it is not appropriate, at least in France. Fiston is too familiar (equivalent of sonny?) and a "fillette" is a young girl, not a teenager. I can't think of a word in French because French professors (almost) never show affection. Maybe "jeune homme" and "jeune fille" if you speak to somebody in particular, and "les jeunes" if you speak to the class, but in my opinion that would sound weird to French students, like the teacher is trying to pose as a friend.

PeppermintPattie

English - USA
    No it is not appropriate, at least in France. Fiston is too familiar (equivalent of sonny?) and a "fillette" is a young girl, not a teenager. I can't think of a word in French because French professors (almost) never show affection. Maybe "jeune homme" and "jeune fille" if you speak to somebody in particular, and "les jeunes" if you speak to the class, but in my opinion that would sound weird to French students, like the teacher is trying to pose as a friend.
    Merci, mehoul. That is exactly what I needed to know. I also appreciate the cultural explanation since there is always more to language than stringing vocabulary words together!

Locape

French
    I did have some professors who showed their pupils affection, even if traditionaly, french teachers are used to represent authority first. But they don't show their affection through words like 'kiddo', excepted indeed 'les jeunes', but through their smiles and warm attitude.

Last edited:

BUCK52

"les jeunes" sounds "old fashioned".....If a class is entirely composed with "boys", the teacher could use "les mecs" but it depends on the context,
    but it is very colloquial....you can use "les gars" instead . As for girls, you can use "les filles"...

PeppermintPattie

English - USA
    "les jeunes" sounds "old fashioned".....If a class is entirely composed with "boys", the teacher could use "les mecs" but it depends on the context,
    but it is very colloquial....you can use "les gars" instead . As for girls, you can use "les filles"...
    Merci beaucoup! That is what I'm looking for.

< Previous | Next >