killer variable

SophieD

FRANCE - FRENCH
From the documentary "Human Terrain".

Culture was becoming the killer variable with a military that was being tasked to have a war among the people. Going into urban settings, having human encounters, we’re seeing cultural sensitivity before they had a term for it, being written into Military Operations other than war.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    In some types of American slang, "killer" means "extremely powerful." I think it was first used in this sense with regard to marijuana, ("That's some killer weed, dude" :) ) but can be applied, by extension, to other things as well.

Here, it means that culture was the most important variable.

Imber Ranae

English - USA
    In some types of American slang, "killer" means "extremely powerful." I think it was first used in this sense with regard to marijuana, ("That's some killer weed, dude" :) ) but can be applied, by extension, to other things as well.

Here, it means that culture was the most important variable.
    No, it doesn't mean that. This is technical jargon. See here for a definition.

Biffo

English - England
    My suggestion:

Culture was becoming the most important factor with a military that was being tasked to have a war among the people.

(cross-posted with Imber)

Imber Ranae

English - USA
    Yes, but we aren't concerned with the building industry here, Imber.

I'm happy with Biffo's suggestion of factor, which is what I meant by element.

It's very loose writing.
    It's not building industry jargon, Thomas. I'm not sure where you got that idea from. It's operational research jargon.

< Previous | Next >